We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Report....just back

Western Ireland...
Level Contributor
31 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Travel Report....just back

Hello again fellow TA's & Happy New Year to you all

We just got back after spending Christmas week based in the St Julien's area staying at Le Meridien Hotel. The hotel was busy but had no atmosphere whatsoever and it's drink prices are crazy however the bar food was excellent, especially the BBQ'd grilled chicken and the staff were nice.... I intend to write a hotel review later.

On your advice we bought the 7 day bus pass at the airport which worked really well.

The bus service was very good and we cannot fault the drivers who were very helpful ....except for the fact there was no service at all from approx. 12.30 to 4,30 pm Christmas Day which saw us stranded in that market fishing village...... with NO market... this despite the newspaper declaring that there definately would be a market on Christmas Day!!!!!

We also took your advice to watch the cannons being fired at 12 and so on Christmas Eve with the sun shining we delighted in watching the ceremony. A large crusie ship happened to be sailing past at the exact time and I can tell you there was some very nervous looking passengers on deck!

We had some great lunches in a little cafe called The Museum in Valleta.....delicious chicken & mushroom pie and hot chocolate!

Excellent food in Naploina Vechia near our hotel and good atmosphere in a lively bar just down the road called Muddy Waters.

Although the weather wasnt good, in fact it was downright cold..... we had a wonderful time and can't wait to return. We loved everything about Malta, its wonderful architecture, food, value for money and especially it's lovely friendly people.

I would have posted this attached to my last forum post however it has mysteriously been deleated? .....TA..... can you please explain??

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,486 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel Report....just back

You previous message has not been deleted, it is here:

tripadvisor.co.uk/…37481075 . Note that there are two forums - one for Malta the country (where you can see allmessages covering Malta), and one for Malta the island (not including Gozo) - you posted your previous message in the former and this one in the latter.

Sorry that we didn't warn you about the bus service lunch break on Christmas Eve - unfortunately the bus company didn't confirm that they were doing this until a few days beforehand.

Anyway, despite that, we are glad that you still enjoyed your holiday.

Phil-the-Bus

Edited: 02 January 2012, 17:25
malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,280 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel Report....just back

At least you seemed to have found the bus system working well for you. I don't think any markets open on Christmas Day.

The weather is much better at the moment.

Glad you enjoyed yourself = keep in touch with the forum as you now in a position to give information to others

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,661 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel Report....just back

Nice to hear someone take the trouble to make a trip report.Thank you Palestine , you made my day .

I liked your comment re the noon time guns which actually only shoot blanks and no danger involved . All that comes out of the front is a lot of burnt paper and smoke , but the sound is good .

Do come back on the Malta forums as your comments and advice will be greatly appreciated. Another view is a breathe of fresh air for us regular old timers :-)

Western Ireland...
Level Contributor
31 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel Report....just back

Thank you Hat & 643 for your replies.

I had not realised Phil- the- Bus that there are 2 forums for Malta, thank you so much for explaining that.... it is a little confusing though!

As you are the expert on the buses, I would like to make the following observation regarding the new bus design..

Most of them have tinted windows which appear to be tinted on both sides, inside as well as outside making it extremely difficult to see out, particularly at night when all one see's is their own reflection!. This makes it impossible for tourists and those of us unfamiliar with the routes to identify landmarks for our stops or just see the sights!

Perhaps I should be directing this comment to Arriva?

5. Re: Travel Report....just back

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 January 2013, 10:28
Get answers to your questions about Island of Malta