We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where is the ferry terminal?

Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Where is the ferry terminal?

I will be arriving in Valetta late on a Saturday in Feb via the Virtue ferry from Pozzallo. I can't seem to find where exactly the ferry berths in Valletta so I can orient myself for getting to the hotel (Valletta Boutique Guesthouse by St John's Cathedral). Will I be able to walk from the ferry with my suitcase, or should I take a taxi?

Thanks

sydney australia
Level Contributor
2,195 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where is the ferry terminal?

well as far as I know it was at Pinto Wharf but after looking at the website www.virtuferries.com & click News & Events it says that their new check in/offices is in Marsa as of 28/10/2011..doesnt say anything about arrivals though. If it is from Marsa a taxi is required, if from Pinto Wharf its a steep walk up into Valletta according to the website a 20 min walk but difficult with heavy luggage. As usual not enough info for travellers imo. best to contact virtu ferries to confirm. If you need a taxi best to google Wembley Taxi Service as they will give you a quote & pick you up (we used them 4 yrs ago & still operating). Taxis at the port are not metered so may charge more & its is comforting to know that a taxi is waiting for you esp if arriving late at night, which happened to us. sorry if cant be more helpful but maybe the experts may give a better answer.

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,674 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where is the ferry terminal?

The ferry berths at the Valletta waterfront pier which is at the end of Lascaris wharf . I will point you there on a link which I will post later .

Since it will probably be very late at night , I would suggest you plan to have a taxi waiting to get you to the hotel in 5 minutes , so you can avoid the uphill walk in the dark .

If you want to walk there I will guide you alog the correct way to get there ,but would not do it at midnight if I am a stranger to Valletta . Taxi should not cost more than 10 euro ??

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,674 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where is the ferry terminal?

Working on the correct link !

What time are you arriving and the day ?

Edited: 19 January 2012, 23:13
Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,674 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where is the ferry terminal?

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=valletta+google+maps&ll=35.88526,14.503734&spn=0.009701,0.019205&oe=UTF-8&hnear=Valletta,+Malta&t=m&z=16&vpsrc=6

Copy and paste it on your address box.

Enter "Triq l-ghassara tal gheneb" as a starting point and "St. John's cathedral" as a final destination on the directions part of the map .

Edited: 19 January 2012, 23:21
Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,674 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where is the ferry terminal?

This did not work before

http://g.co/maps/3wy66

but works now

Edited: 19 January 2012, 23:23
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where is the ferry terminal?

Thanks everyone, these are really helpful replies. I'm arriving at 10.30pm on Saturday 18 February, and will order a taxi to be waiting at the terminal.

sydney australia
Level Contributor
2,195 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where is the ferry terminal?

643amc according to your map link (which is excellent) the terminal has indeed moved since I used it in 2008 - is that correct? New terminal is at Marsa (Menga side) as stated in www.virtuferries.com website under Update Traffic diversion as of 30/10/2011, not at Pinto Wharf or Lascaris Wharf but just a bit further along edging towards Marsa. Surely this is a longer walk than when from Pinto/Lascaris. Likelly1 taxi is the way to go, also the map link that 643amc gave you also shows where the ferry to Sliema leaves from, this is another way to get to Sliema (much quicker than a bus) but check the operating hours (first one & last one esp for winter timetable). Enjoy Malta.

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,674 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where is the ferry terminal?

Likely1 , choose a view on the right side of the ferry when entering Valletta port at night , it will be a good photo moment you will remember all your life .

Bean der , Dun it :-)

Also , there is a taxistand at the terminal 24/7 ? always see a taxi there but not 100% sure .

Edited: 20 January 2012, 06:13
9. Re: Where is the ferry terminal?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 April 2013, 10:34