We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to stay in Malta without a car?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
138 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Best place to stay in Malta without a car?

Hi,

My boyfriend and I are planning on going to Malta for about 6 days at the start of May.

We are looking for the best place to stay (ideally a villa with private pool) without needing a car. We dont mind walking reasonable distances or getting the bus. I would just like somewhere easily reachable with these means and not necessarily needing a car..

We found a nice house we thought of renting in Santa Maria estate in Mellieha but apparently people here suggest it's best to have a car if you stay there..

According to what I read so far buses go more or less everywhere around the island so places like Valletta or St Julians Bay and all other touristic destinations can be reached from wherever we are staying.. So basically Im just asking where do you suggest staying without needing a car to move around?

Thanks to all those who will help us :)

Cambridgeshire
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to stay in Malta without a car?

The Santa Maria estate goes on for a very long way; it is bad enough in the heat trying to walk from one end of the estate to the other let alone trying to carry heavy shopping.

I am afraid that you will have to take pot luck in finding a villa with pool that is near a bus stop.

Taxis are available at the airport late at night, make sure that you prepay at the booth so you do not get ripped off.

Edited: 04 March 2012, 22:56
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
138 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to stay in Malta without a car?

Yeah i heard that about taxis :P

Do you know where I can find the bus stops to know better the location of the accommodation?

Thank you

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,692 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to stay in Malta without a car?

If you click on this link: http://g.co/maps/3raxa it shows the main bus stops as little blue boxes on a map of mellieha.

Note that there is also a bus (101) that runs through the Santa Maria estate approximately once per hour but it is intended mainly for locals so may not be much use to you.

Phil-the-Bus

Edited: 05 March 2012, 01:27
sydney australia
Level Contributor
2,206 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to stay in Malta without a car?

firstly start of May may not be swimming pool season unless heated. Secondly, Sliema or St Julians is your other options for easier public transport, restaurants, shops etc. But if you do go with your first choice (Mellieha) maybe try out first re public transport then consider hiring a car if your think necessary, car hire in Malta is not that expensive. PS you dont need a car for Valletta but if you go to Gozo a car would be handy too.

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
94 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place to stay in Malta without a car?

Well I think you should stay in Sliema personally. That is by the sea and there are plenty of buses that stop on the front. It is not far from Valletta and there is a lot in the way of bars and restaurants there. Most of the big hotels have spas and the like and you are practically on top of St Julians Bay.

Just a thought

6. Re: Best place to stay in Malta without a car?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 18:17
Get answers to your questions about Island of Malta