We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Experts' advice on itinerary

South Wales, UK
Level Contributor
375 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Experts' advice on itinerary

Hi all

We're having a four-day break in Malta next month and I wondered if I could have the experts’ thoughts on our vague itinerary, please?

We have been before, but it was 21 years ago and we hardly moved from Sliema then (except when I ran the half-marathon, so I did at least see Mdina - briefly!).

This time we'll be based in St Julian's. We thought first day there, probably walking around Sliema and Paceville; Then the following days, depending on the weather: day two - ferry to Valletta with walks around Vittoriosa and Tarxien (night out near the hotel); day three - Mellieha/St Paul's Bay and Golden Bay; day four - Marsaskala, Marsaxlokk, Blue Grotto and Mdina.

We're not hiring a car and are planning to travel to all by bus. Firstly, is it easily doable in the time or is the final day, in particular, ambitious? Secondly, are there some places you wouldn't bother with and have I missed some that are unmissable?

Thank you in anticipation of some brilliant suggestions!

Estepona, Spain
Level Contributor
42 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Experts' advice on itinerary

I have trawled the internet and beyond to find the 'comprehensive' expert's guide to the top ten best things to do in Malta (check the list out here: howtomalta.com/2012/01/top-10-things-to-do-i… ). I've tried all of them myself, and would also recommend a trip to the Dingli cliffs as the scenery along the west coast is particularly beautiful. The weather is fantastic at the moment, so I'm sure you'll have a great time.

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,302 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Experts' advice on itinerary

The 'what to see and do' and 'Valletta' in the Top Questions on the right is also useful

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4,029 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Experts' advice on itinerary

Nothing beats seeing artwork in situ. Enjoy your visit!

South Wales, UK
Level Contributor
375 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Experts' advice on itinerary

SeanB87 - thank you! I read that the Caravaggio was signed in blood, but I just thought that meant the red paint used to depict the beheading of John the Baptist. I assume it was Caravaggio's blood then? Awesome! The keys info is fascinating.

Dublinia 2000 - I had already found the howtomalta website, and it's SO helpful. The Dingli cliffs sound amazing and the weather news is particularly good!

Hat776 - I'm copying and pasting everything,

Cinti - you're so right. Can't wait to experience some real art history.

Thanks all.

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
884 posts
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: Experts' advice on itinerary

No! I meant in the paint!

Since you are well into history and may like something a bit different I suggest you try also a visit to Casa Rocca Piccola in Valletta. (Republic Street, just down from the Palace) You may be lucky and find that your guide is the owner, Marquess Nicholas de Piro.

South Wales, UK
Level Contributor
375 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Experts' advice on itinerary

Thanks, Sean. Off tomorrow and we certainly will do that!

Many thanks for all the great suggestions!

17. Re: Experts' advice on itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 06:41
Get answers to your questions about Island of Malta