We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tour sales replacing time share touts?

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
4,745 posts
133 reviews
Save Topic
Tour sales replacing time share touts?

Walking round Sliema (Fortizza and Ferries) and elsewhere I found the bus tour and harbour cruise sales reps started to get a bit irritating. Have they taken up the timeshare touts position?

There were still a few timeshare sales about, though we managed to avoid them, but very 100 yards or so we were approached with people shouting "hop on, hop off" and so on.....

My wife stumped one of them - we were looking at details of one of the open top bus tours (which we already had booked via DealToday) when a rival firm's rep came up and said, in a cockney accent, "you don't want to buy that s**t" - my wife turned tound and responded "we've already bought this s**t thanks" - to which he had no real reply...

They started to become a pain, though we laughed it off, even when they were chasing us through the parked cars at the ferries as we tried to cross the road, hampered by the roadworks and steel fencing.

However one lady, who I ignored for a few moments, turned out to be selling Arriva bus tickets, which we wanted, so they can be useful sometimes!

Comino, Malta
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Tour sales replacing time share touts?

Well thats tacky tourist resorts for you.

South Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
2,545 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tour sales replacing time share touts?

Siggiewi4. How is Sliema a tacky tourist resort? Many Maltese live there.

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,463 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tour sales replacing time share touts?

Hi there..

I have to agree with original poster, i was in Sliema this morning and the touts for trips, cruises ect were indeed a PAIN.., was not as bad as this last November when i was there, mind you not as bad as Buggiba !

Regards

Dave

Comino, Malta
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Tour sales replacing time share touts?

IMO any where that is over run with tourists and infested with cockney timeshare / tour sellers is a tacky tourist resort, local people live in blackpool but it's still a famously tacky resort,

Bugibba, Malta
Level Contributor
743 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tour sales replacing time share touts?

Siggiewi4,

Forgive me for pointing out a common misunderstanding you, and many others have, concerning residency in London. Just because a person speaks with a London accent, doesn't qualify them to be called a 'Cockney'. You may be unaware, but in order to be classed as a 'Cockney', you have to be born within the sound of the bells of the 'Church of St Mary-le-Bow', in the City of London. Being bred and born in South London, I find it offensive to be called a 'Cockney' in the same way a New Zealander feels when called an Aussie. Here endeth today's lesson.

6. Re: Tour sales replacing time share touts?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 05 November 2012, 12:35
7. Re: Tour sales replacing time share touts?

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 05 November 2012, 19:05
Edited: 05 November 2012, 19:05
8. Re: Tour sales replacing time share touts?

Removed on: 05 November 2012, 15:35
9. Re: Tour sales replacing time share touts?

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 November 2013, 10:18
Get answers to your questions about Island of Malta