We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay in Malta?

london
Level Contributor
179 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
where to stay in Malta?

We want to stay in a town which is not very touristy, is good for interesting walks in historical areas and by the sea, (not more than an hour or two long!) and has good transport links. Hoping to come at the end of March and not hiring a car- like public transport and walking.

Would be very glad of some suggestions,

Thanks,

Phil

Manchester
Level Contributor
682 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to stay in Malta?

Sounds to me that Vittoriosa would suit you - rent an apartment, look for one of the apartments in St Angelo Mansions - or maybe the Bed and Breakfast place in Kalkara. Plenty of historical sites, all within an hours walk - take the ferry over to Valletta then the lift up to the Upper Barrakka Gardens, you then have all of Valletta to keep you interested as well.

london
Level Contributor
412 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to stay in Malta?

Malta is a small Island with a cheap bus service if you buy weekly tickets so getting around to anywhere is easy enough if you stay in the right area such as Valletta or Sliema,

Valletta (The capital) while being the obvious choice with its history can be very quiet at night with some restaurants closed as its the business district also

Sliema has a long promenade where you can take in the evening air and has plenty of options for food but I would advise staying away from the St Julians end as its touristy.

I would also suggest renting an apartment in Vittoriosa in Valletta if your self catering or staying at somewhere like the imperial or the palace hotel in Sliema depending on your budget which are slightly away from the touristy areas if your considering hotels

Edited: 15 February 2013, 15:05
Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
416 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to stay in Malta?

I agree with Shembo. Vittoriosa or anywhere in the 3 Cities. The whole area is of historic interest in itself. It was the centre of the Great Siege in 1565 and is surrounded by 2 lines of medieval fortificactions. Within the 3 cities you'll find good museums commemorating Malta's military importance including the Maritime museum and the Malta at War Museum. There's also the Inquisitor's Palace. In Senglea there's the Macina and the Gardiola where you'll find on of Malta's many medieval obervation point overlooking Grand Harbour. Then just outside the 3 Cities in Paola there's the Hypogeum (a 15 minute bus ride away).

Then there's Fort Ricasoli (a 30 minute walk) which is open to visitors and where you'll find a WW2 coastal gun, They put on battle re-enactments here pretty regularly. Not far from there on the other side of Xaghra is a really good coastal walk which will take you past lots of WW2 observation turrets.

If it's history you're after in a non tourist place with good walks this will suit you very well

Edited: 15 February 2013, 16:30
Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
884 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: where to stay in Malta?

As Vince knows, Vittoriosa is way up there at the top of my most loved lists. but I don't feel it completely fills your inital post. Its transport links are not as good as being In the Sliema (my suggestion) /St. Julian's area. In Sliema you can walk down two promenades and stop off many times at bars and cafes and watch the world go by, day or evening. There is a whole range of hotels at different prices to choose from, but the area is not headfbangingly touristy. Many buses connect to Valletta and all parts. If you want slightly quieter, but still interesting and central to transport, then Valletta is my next choice. Though Vittoriosa does gain quaintness and on scenic value.

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
884 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: where to stay in Malta?

Sorry phil38 - meant to add:

the last week of March is Holy Week, and is very interesting, with many processions on Good Friday. Good Friday though also a day when most places will be shut (though not a fair number of bars and resturants). One of the best GF processions is actually Vittoriosa! but there are many others worth seeing.

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
416 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where to stay in Malta?

Sorry Sean I disagree

Regardless of which of the 3 Cities you pick

"not very touristy" - box ticked

"good for interesting walks in historic areas by the sea" - all boxes ticked

"walks not more than an hour or two long" - box ticked

"good transport links" box ticked - buses every 15 - 20 minutes to Paola and Valletta. Ferry to Valletta every 20 minutes.

"likes public transport and walking" - box ticked.

Jobs a good n'. It's a self catering apartment in the 3 Cities if you ask me.

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
884 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: where to stay in Malta?

I understand you perfectly, Vince, my only reason for my recommendation for this poster is that I feel a first timer to Malta will be more confident in the Sliema area. For returners and lovers of Malta everything you say holds good. We agree to differ thats all.

london
Level Contributor
179 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: where to stay in Malta?

Thanks very much- really helpful. Had been wondering myself about Sliema- that' s where we'll go!

Phil

Manchester
Level Contributor
682 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: where to stay in Malta?

Sliema is one of the busier tourist resorts - there are also many locals, but a non-tourist resort it is not, as confirmed by the number of hotel choices that are available.

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
884 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: where to stay in Malta?

I agree Sliema caters for lots of tourists, Shembo, but it is not touristy in the sense that people are off their faces on drink (not metioning any places!) or discos banging away till 4 in the morning. Even in the so-called tourist bits like the Strand, most bars are closing down about midnight. And off season it is perfect.

Get answers to your questions about Island of Malta