We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Radisson Blu a good fit for our trip?

Level Contributor
1,076 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Is Radisson Blu a good fit for our trip?

Hi. I really need to get a wriggle on booking our trip for 26/08/14-02/09/14, for my brothers wedding.

I've been reading reviews but am feeling confused. It will be me, DH and two sons aged 6 and nearly 4. I think our priority is a kid friendly hotel with good pools. We can hire a car if needed.

I can get direct flights from Gatwick and a family room at Radisson Blu for under £500pp. It seems a nice hotel but I wonder if I'm missing somewhere better. Originally looked at booking an apartment at Portomaso but its expensive and no one seems to be offering use of hotel pools included.

Any advice welcome including best way to book.

Thanks.

Cambridgeshire
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Radisson Blu a good fit for our trip?

There are two Radisson Blue hotels in Malta, one at St Julian’s

www.radissonblu.com/stjuliansresort-malta…

the other at Golden Bay,

www.radissonblu.com/goldensandsresort-malta

just make sure which one you are talking about.

Level Contributor
1,076 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Radisson Blu a good fit for our trip?

Sorry. I meant the one at St Julian's.

Cambridgeshire
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Radisson Blu a good fit for our trip?

I am sorry I cannot comment about the Radisson at St Julian’s as I have never stayed there. Malta is a very small island so nowhere is far by car, so I am wondering as you have 2 small kids whether a beach location might be better as it is still very hot at the end of August.

For example the other Radisson is right on Golden bay and is very kids friendly, the cheapest way to stay there is to rent an apartment this can be done through a UK company, if you want details send me a personal message with an email address.

The Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Saint Julian's
Level Contributor
2,696 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Radisson Blu a good fit for our trip?

The Raddison at St Julians is very child friendly and has childrens facilities and nice pools. A short walk away you will find a small sandy beach at St Georges Bay and there is a good selection of restaurants in the St Julians area. If you decide to hire a car parking is fairly easy at the Raddison, however it is also possible to use the local inexpensive bus service.

I agree with Mac1UK that the Radisson Golden Bay is nice and has a lovely beach, however the area is very remote with only a couple of beach type cafe/restaurants in the local vicinity and therefore a hire car would be a necessity.

Mansfield, United...
Level Contributor
1,438 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Radisson Blu a good fit for our trip?

Although we prefer st julians and sliema to stay when we are in malta have you had a look at the seabank hotel in mellieha?. Great for kids and adults alike with entertainment on tap.

The Radisson in st julians is a good hotel and we actually got married there in 09 but I prefer the Corinthia San gorg next door to the Radisson.

Both these hotels are slightly out of the way a bit but as previously said they are close to the man made beach. Its a 15 min walk to spinola bay though and you have to walk right through the party zone (Google st Rita steps to get an idea of what I mean :-) )

You can avoid walking through paceville but that takes longer walking the road past the Westin hotel. Something to consider with small children.

I take it the wedding is in st julians? Can we ask where?

Cambridgeshire
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Radisson Blu a good fit for our trip?

In 2011 we went to a Maltese wedding at St Julian's with the reception of a sit down meal for 120 guests at Le Meridian, it was lovely.

We stayed for free for 5 nights at the Radisson at Golden bay and had a car, getting arround was easy.

So even if the wedding is at St Julian's you need not be based there.

Macl1uk

Level Contributor
1,076 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Radisson Blu a good fit for our trip?

The wedding is at the villa Arrigo in Naxxar. It looks amazing. Quite a few relatives will be at the Hilton or Radisson but St Julian's isn't essential.

My dad and uncle were schooled in Malta, my uncle married a local and there are lots of extended family there but I haven't been for many years and wanted some other advice on the best place to stay. If I ask family they say St Julian's but I like to ask TA too.

We have a great price for Seabank all inclusive with kids go free but I'm worried about the location as some have said its run down? Also, with all respect I'm worried Seabank will be a bit like a holiday camp feeling. We want great pools for kids but cabaret and evening entertainment is not our thing at all. The divided rooms though look very nice and it has free wifi.

Decisions, decisions!!

Thanks for the advice so far. Keep it coming.

Mansfield, United...
Level Contributor
1,438 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Radisson Blu a good fit for our trip?

Mellieha is certainly not run down. The seabank was very nice for us. We split 2 weeks last year, first week in st julians and then a week in mellieha. Loved it.

Like I say, st julians is the place for us 9 times out of 10 and if the budget isn't busting I would go for the hilton if you can get it at the right price. Failing that I would stay where the majority of the wedding guests are staying so you can enjoy malta with friends. B-)

Level Contributor
1,076 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Radisson Blu a good fit for our trip?

Thanks for your advice. Tonight we've booked a week at the Seabank. It looks a good fit for our two young boys and we can get a car and visit others in St Julian's or they can come to us at the beach. We got all inclusive and booked our own flights for the same price as room only at the Radisson in St Julian's, which was our other choice as the Hilton is completely sold out.

As the rain pours down outside I'm quite excited at the prospect.

10. Re: Is Radisson Blu a good fit for our trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 November 2014, 06:20
Get answers to your questions about Island of Malta