We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ideal location required...

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
28 reviews
Save Topic
Ideal location required...

Hi. Where would you learned people recommend in Malta? We've never been and are looking for walking, chilled out evenings at welcoming local bars and decent food options. We are considering apartment in Sliema and perhaps a few nights elsewhere. Beach not essential. Help!

Mentioned in this post
Malta
Malta
Europe
Sliema
Sliema
Island of Malta, Malta
hampshire_UK
Level Contributor
1,736 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ideal location required...

Well Sliema is as good as any a place to stay. It is a fairly busy area, but has a fantastic promenade that runs all the way to St. Julians which is great for walking. Bars and restaurants to suit all tastes, but lively nightlife of Paceville only 10 mins away. There are good transport links by bus or ferry to Valletta where you can get buses anywhere on the island and at €6.50 for a weekly ticket it is by far the most economical way to get about.

You mention going elsewhere for a few nights, but you should note that Malta is a very small island and that might not be necessary. unless you want to spend a few days on Gozo.

Mentioned in this post
Valletta
Valletta
Island of Malta, Malta
Malta
Malta
Europe
South Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ideal location required...

Stemand

For a first visit I would go with Sliema. Comment by TM001 spot on. As the island is small I would only stay in one place as you can easily get from one island to the other, and have to explore, in a day. Even if you opt to to stay on Gozo I would recommend going across one day of your holiday. Enjoy your planning and holiday.

Have you read the top questions about Malta on the top right of the page, especially where to stay?

Edited: 26 January 2014, 17:54
Mentioned in this post
Sliema
Sliema
Island of Malta, Malta
Malta
Malta
Europe
Chester, United...
Level Contributor
389 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ideal location required...

Another recommendation for Sliema its so easy to get to everywhere from. I love the water taxi across to Valletta and its nice that if you do find an odd hour or two spare you can just nip across. Some lovely restaurants along the promenades too both on the views looking across the Valletta and also the prom along to St Julians. I am on my third visit and staying in Sliema for my third time.

Mentioned in this post
Sliema
Sliema
Island of Malta, Malta
Valletta
Valletta
Island of Malta, Malta
4. Re: Ideal location required...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2015, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Island of Malta