We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Refugee Problems

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Refugee Problems

I'm getting bad vibes from people I meet that Malta is experiencing serious problems with an influx of African continent refugee's !

Is this going to spoil my holiday???

Mentioned in this post
Malta
Malta
Europe
Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Refugee Problems

In a word no.There have been a number of immigrant from Africa but frankly I don't see how this will impact on your holiday at all.Some Maltese people do give the impression that we are being invaded but this simply isn't true.You can go to Malta and have a safe and enjoyable time x

Mentioned in this post
Malta
Malta
Europe
Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Refugee Problems

By the way I am Maltese and spend half my time in Malta and half here in the UK

Mentioned in this post
Malta
Malta
Europe
Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Refugee Problems

I can stay at home mariaheloise & have "a safe & enjoyable time". What worries me now is whether or not I find Malta is full of wandering refugees with no particular purpose in life other than to make tourists life hell?

Mentioned in this post
Malta
Malta
Europe
Staffs
Destination Expert
for Bulgaria, Sunny Beach
Level Contributor
3,928 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Refugee Problems

I went to Malta a few weeks ago and return to the Island next week. Personally I really liked it.

You asked a question about being worried about 'an influx of African continent refugee's' and also will 'this going to spoil my holiday???'

I would like to address your concerns. I did not see many black people in Malta. However the black guys that I did meet were lovely people. I think the drunken white people from the UK are much more likely to 'spoil' your holiday.

Go and enjoy. The weather is good compared to the UK and I personally found the people very friendly. You can eat for a good price and Malta seems 'geared up' for a family night out.

For me Portugal or Malta are good places to visit in the UK winter time. Refugee's in Malta will not cause you a problem,

Best.,

Paul

Mentioned in this post
Malta
Malta
Europe
Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Refugee Problems

The very fact that I said it was safe seems to suggest that its not full of hoards of wondering immigrants...but hey I was only trying to be helpful.

Mansfield, United...
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Refugee Problems

Let me get this straight... If an African refugee comes up to you in malta and offers to sell you something, say a cheap tourist gift or a fake watch suddenly your life will become hell ?

This has got to be a wind up thread surely.

If that's hell to you then I'm afraid there is no hope for you. Stay at home in shottingham, sorry nottingham if you want to be safe and sound.

South Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Refugee Problems

Malta is one of the safest places I know to take a holiday but we always have to take care no matter whether we are home or abroad. Take a chance for a change of venue and enjoy a holiday. How can you guarantee you'll have a safe and enjoyable time at home?!? None of us, thank goodness, know what tomorrow will bring us.

Mentioned in this post
Malta
Malta
Europe
Belgrade
Level Contributor
41 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Refugee Problems

You've heard wrong. Take a trip and enjoy.

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
8,528 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Refugee Problems

I was in Malta two weeks ago and travelled all over now I did get some odd looks from strange men and women some Maltese some African and some African Manchester/London. But am inclined to put that down to the fact that I was the one in Shorts and a tee shirt no coat carrying a big camera bag even on the ferry to Gozo and that lot thought I was really strange.

Their they were going around in Overcoats like it was Siberia and me thinking that 18degrees was like an Irish summer and where could I have a swim.

Was disappointed that nobody offered to sell me anything but got great food at half the Irish price my wife was drinking glasses of Maltese wine for €1.40 a glass and the restaurant staff all talked to you and had lovely manners and the nicest looking women you will see anywhere in the world.

Terrible place that Malta but I will definitely not be going to Nottingham or Birmingham any time in the near or distant future not sure that I like the people from there terrible attitude.

Mentioned in this post
Malta
Malta
Europe
Birmingham
Birmingham
West Midlands, UK
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
443 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Refugee Problems

Why would immigrants escaping a bad country for a better one for a better way of living make a holiday-maker who is visiting the island for a week or two's life hell?!