We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for a Quiet Holiday

Ko Lanta, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Advice for a Quiet Holiday

We are travelling to Malta for a two-week holiday in September/early October and are looking for a small family hotel or guest house in a quiet area away from busy towns or main tourist areas. We shall rent a car and would welcome suggestions for fairly quiet ‘beaches’. Sand not important but reasonably easy access to the sea shore would be helpful for two active but over-retirement-age visitors.

We would plan to explore Malta and Gozo during our visit so suggestions on where to stay and where to spend lazy beach days on both islands would be most welcome.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
105 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice for a Quiet Holiday

I would consider Rabat which neighbours Mdina, the old capital of Malta. It has a lot of character but few hotels. Mdina itself is a major tourist attraction but it does still seem to remain quiet most of time. It is known as the silent city. In Rabat I have found this place with good reviews tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g190326-d3216…

There are couple of inns in Naxxar ( i have no experience of them). Naxxar is away from most of the main touristy areas but lies near some nice maltese residential areas (Attard, Balzan and Lija). Also close to the coastal road to get to the main beaches.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g1200548-d137…

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g1200548-d337…

In Gozo most towns are quiet. I recently stayed at Maria's B&B in Ghasri which was very nice and very quiet with a pool. Have also stayed at the Kempinski which is very different (bigger) but still in a quiet part of the island (San Lawrenz). However, I think most of the island will be quieter at this time of year along with the beaches. Ramla Hamra one of the main beaches is a nice place to visit. I'd also recommend Dhalet Qorrot - a bit of an adventure by car but very nice and much quieter than beaches on Malta.

On Malta the quieter beaches can be more difficult to access but the larger beaches such as Mellieha and Golden bay should be quieter at the time of year you will be visiting.

Enjoy your trip.

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
8,185 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice for a Quiet Holiday

Marsaxlokk is a fishing village with a couple of guest houses.

It is a popular village with a big market on a sunday.. Lots of decent seafood restaurants and not too touristy except on sunday.

Marsascala another popular village also has some accommodation and is not too touristy.

Hope you have an enjoyable stay.

Graham

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice for a Quiet Holiday

Hi, we have booked at Maple Farm b&b in Rabat. Great reviews. Also if you book direct they are cheaper than booking.com. The owners seem to go the extra mile as well. See what you think ? Hope this helps

The Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Saint Julian's
Level Contributor
2,699 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice for a Quiet Holiday

Another vote for Marsaxlokk or nearby Birzebugga, both of which are fairly quiet and in the south of the island. You could also look at Ramla Bay which is close to Mellieha and Cirkewwa in the North of the island offering easy access to the Gozo ferry terminal.

On Gozo I have also stayed at the Kempinski which I found very relaxing.. It also has plenty of parking spaces.

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
3,533 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice for a Quiet Holiday

In Gozo, nearly everywhere is quietish in late September / early October. To put it into context, there are around 30,000 on this island compared with 400,000 on Malta, which geographically is only double the size.

I recommend finding somewhere in Xaghra which has a nice square for an evening drink. Ramla Bay, San Blas & Hondoq will all be quiet, especially in the week.

Ko Lanta, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice for a Quiet Holiday

Many thanks for all the suggestions and recommendations. Very useful information which will be a great help in planning our holiday..

Can't promise I won't be back!

7. Re: Advice for a Quiet Holiday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2015, 06:15
Get answers to your questions about Island of Malta