We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Festa

England
Level Contributor
66 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Festa

HI. I'd like to take my kids along to experience a festa (partly to give them - as English/Irish Catholics - a taste of how Mediterranean Catholics celebrate their saints, and partly because we all love fireworks and spectacle).

Two questions: what is the general timetable for festas? And since we're going July 12 to 22, when there are quite a few festas on, would it be better to go to Valletta (Our Lady of Mt Carmel on July 16) or to a smaller place (Tarxien, Qormi or Kalkara - all on July 20).

Many thanks.

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
416 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Festa

The timing varies from one festa to another but you should bank on things getting started around 6pm. It's worth noting as well that some last all week. We visited the Kalkara festa on the Monday or Tuesday last year and there wasn't much going on. There was a showing of the statue and a brass band. You can expect a parade on the last night. There are fireworks every night with the biggest display on the last night. Check the local authority websites and the local church websites (we received a very helpful response from the church in Santa Lucia when we were trying to find out when theirs was the year before last). So long as you choose the last night any of those you have on your list will be a great experience. But I'd go for Kalkara because you can see the parade as it comes out of the church then choose to either stay in that area or watch the fireworks from the Bastions of Birgu which overlook Kalkara Creek.

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
3,995 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Festa

Just to explain, the main fireworks are on the EVE of the feast day e.g. Feast Day 8th September, fireworks are on 7th September etc etc This is the day to attend any of the festas, not earlier in the week. On your list I would go for Kalkara or Qormi.......................

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
416 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Festa

Thanks for that XaghraDream.

Manchester
Level Contributor
682 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Festa

I would certainly second the Kalkara vote - last years was pretty hectic, pretty crowded all week-end - the fireworks from memory didn't kick-off until after 11.00pm, but an excellent display when viewed from the Kalkara promonade near to the regatta club - there are two band clubs, each with its own band playing and marching along the streets with people singing along - takes quite some time for the parade to make its way through the town. I would check the date of this Festa for this year, I believe that they have delayed it for one week due to the world cup.

There is also what I would term 'street fireworks' that are displayed immediately following the main display - these are positioned adjacent to the childrens play area opposite the church - well worth waiting for.

Edited: 25 June 2014, 10:37
England
Level Contributor
66 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Festa

Thank you all for your input. it sounds even better than I'd hoped!

So am I right in thinking we'd need to go to Kalkara on the evening of the 19th to see the statue procession/parade and the festivities and the fireworks?

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
3,995 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Festa

19th July for fireworks etc

7. Re: Festa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2015, 05:17