We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can i bring cigarettes from uk to Malta?

Wolverhampton...
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Can i bring cigarettes from uk to Malta?

Hi there,

could anyone tell me if i could take a sleeve of cigarettes (200) from Birmingham airport into Malta without any problems? I can see easily what i can take back into the UK but not into Malta :(

Many thanks in advance

Colchester Essex
Level Contributor
81 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can i bring cigarettes from uk to Malta?

You can not buy cigarettes duty free to take with you . However whilst you are waiting for your case at Malta airport there is a duty free shop and you can buy your cigarettes then.

Cambridgeshire
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can i bring cigarettes from uk to Malta?

Cigarettes at Malta airport are the same price as in local Maltese shops. These prices are a lot lower than UK shop prices.

Wolverhampton...
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Can i bring cigarettes from uk to Malta?

Fantastic thank you :) BUT do you happen to know what time the airport shops trade till? We arrive at 2:30am!! If they happen not to be open i will have to find somewhere in Sliema :)

Thanks once again

notts
Level Contributor
417 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can i bring cigarettes from uk to Malta?

I'm sure the airport shop won't be open that late its not that big if I remember right and the cigarettes are all the same prices because the prices are set by the government well used to be anyway x

notts
Level Contributor
417 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can i bring cigarettes from uk to Malta?

And you can't buy them this end because Malta is in Europe, You can only buy them if your traveling outside of Europe

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
8,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can i bring cigarettes from uk to Malta?

If you are staying in Sliema the shop to buy them in is beside BHS across the road from the bus terminal but most shops and pubs sell them in the machines just bring enough for the first two days.

Wolverhampton...
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Can i bring cigarettes from uk to Malta?

Thanks everyone your info is most helpful :)

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
4,668 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can i bring cigarettes from uk to Malta?

The duty free shops in Malta airport departures are open 24 hours, I think the one in the baggage reclaim hall is too, but it's not certain. Have a look whilst you wait for your cases.

You could try contacting the airport (email or phone) ;

…maltairport.com/en/…duty-free.htm

Another good tobacconist in Sliema is Charles Grech in Windsor Street (off Tower Road). It depends which part of Sliema you're in.

http://www.charlesgrech.com/news.aspx?id=1

Salisbury, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Can i bring cigarettes from uk to Malta?

I'm confused why people are saying you can't take cigarettes into Malta as they are part of the EU and as such surely you can take 800 in without problem? See link below

https://malta.visahq.com/customs/

Salisbury, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Can i bring cigarettes from uk to Malta?

I am confused why everyone is saying you can't take cigarettes into Malta when they are part of the EU, so surely you can take in 800 as with any EU member? Link below seems to confirm this???

https://malta.visahq.com/customs/

Edited: 30 June 2015, 12:35