We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mdina, old Valletta and Hypogeum in one day

Melrose...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Mdina, old Valletta and Hypogeum in one day

Hi, we are arriving in Valletta at 8am via cruise ship on June 30th. We have 3pm tickets to the Hypogeum and would also like to see old Valletta and Mdina. Is this doable in one day, and in what order would you do the sites knowing that you have to be in Paola for the Hypogeum at 3pm.

I am thinking maybe old Valletta first until late morning and then heading to Mdina from 12ish until 2 or so to get to the Hypogeum on time.

Would love some recommendations.

Thanks,

Michele

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
884 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Mdina, old Valletta and Hypogeum in one day

OOOps - sorry! Silly me, you are going then to Hypogeum. Suggest you ask your taxi to pick you up from Castille Place (outside Castille Hotel) at a prearranged time. Be there for him because he won't be allowed to park up.

Melrose...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Mdina, old Valletta and Hypogeum in one day

Thanks much to everyone. I feel well prepared for our day in Malta. I am thinking that it will become a future vacation destination.

sydney australia
Level Contributor
2,215 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Mdina, old Valletta and Hypogeum in one day

Firstly, lucky for you that 30th June is a Saturday as St Johns CoCathedral will be open in Valletta. Personally trying to do all 3 things is a bit hectic in one day so highly suggest getting a taxi from the cruise straight to Mdina...allow minimum 1.5 hrs for Mdina so aim to be back in Valletta say 11.00 latest then either go straight for St Johns CoCathedral (allow 1 hr at least), or walk around Upper Barracka Gardens for the noon gunfire) etc. You must be at the Hypogyeum earlier than your allocated time..which I find annoying as time is wasted sitting around imo. Tips: prebook taxi (Wembleys are highly recommended), maybe arrange same taxi to pickyou up from Mdina, find another couple to save on costs of taxis as taxi will cost the same whether you are 2 or 4 ppl. Finally, start plannig another longer trip to Malta as you are only scratching the surface..so much to take in Valletta alone & then their is Gozo (sister island to malta)...I can go on & on. Take bottled water as walking around in June is quite warm. Try a pastizzi or if hungrier a Maltese Ftira (bread, olive oil, tomatoes, tuna & beans (sometimes).

Pretoria
Level Contributor
70 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Mdina, old Valletta and Hypogeum in one day

Hello, our Cruise ship will arrive (for one day) at 08:00AM - 06:00 on 20 Sept 2014. Would you recommend exactly the above or any other suggestions or regrets please? What bus to take etc? we're fit and also dont mind walking. thanks Mimmie

Pretoria
Level Contributor
70 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Mdina, old Valletta and Hypogeum in one day

Hi, reading your post, what would you recommend please as our cruise ship will be in Valletta for one day 20 Sept 2014? regards

Mimmie

16. Re: Mdina, old Valletta and Hypogeum in one day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2016, 17:17
Get answers to your questions about Mdina