We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boat Hire Scam - Captain Morgan, Sliema

Which Sliema hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
England
Level Contributor
1 post
38 reviews
Save Topic
Boat Hire Scam - Captain Morgan, Sliema

NEVER EVER NEVER hire a boat from Captain Morgan would be my advise. We hired a boat for 4 hours, returned the boat as we found it, the lacky checked the boat over and checked how much fuel we had used and all was ok.

Then 24 hours later as we were about to leave the hotel for the airport we recieved a text askin us to contact the office regarding the boat we had hired.We did this and was told the control was broken, which it most certainly was not when we returned it, and they checked it with us present!!

We travelled to the office ( short of time due to our plane departin) we asked to see the boat, the lacky brought the boat over to the boarding jetty and it was as we had left it, control in tact. He then proceeded to pull out the control throttle apart and said that that was how we had left it!!Which we most certainly had not.

Now call me scaptical if you wish, but could it be that they use this hustle on several un suspecting customers every year!? After all the lacky was easily able to pull the control apart, and put it back in place obviously as it was in place when we hired the boat and when he brought it show us!Captain Morgan boat hire is a total scam, they pre authorise your credit card for 350 euros, making a big deal of how it is only in case you smash the boat and is highly unlikely to be used. Then pull the control lever apart and claim that it will cost over 250 euros to repair and they will have to debit the card. SCAM. I have no doubt they make several thousand euros every year by using this scam.

When i told the lacky i would post this review on the net he said it was an empty threat. Well happy hiring lacky!

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,280 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boat Hire Scam - Captain Morgan, Sliema

Let's hope Captain Morgan staff read this and send in a reply just as the Preluna CEO did.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
529 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Boat Hire Scam - Captain Morgan, Sliema

"Now call me scaptical if you wish"

Hello scaptical,

Although this does seem fishy,I beleive Captain Morgan are one of the most respected company's on Malta and have been in business for many years.

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,661 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boat Hire Scam - Captain Morgan, Sliema

I cannot vouch for anyone , but scaptical would better to remove his posting since it could land him in a lawsuit for defamation and slander , especially since Captain Morgan have his visa card details.

It could just be that he was the only one that this happened to , and there is no scam ?In that case, he is in deep waters .

Honest opinion !

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,280 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boat Hire Scam - Captain Morgan, Sliema

Holly - if you are unhappy with any service contact the Tourist Authority via www.visitmalta.com.

You must have been the unlucky one as I've never heard of any scam by Captain Morgan during the years they have been operating.

Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,006 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boat Hire Scam - Captain Morgan, Sliema

I doubt whether it is a scam as such. This is not to say that what happened wasn't wrong. You checked the boat and they checked the boat. Thet no longer have a legal leg to stand. If anything is taken off your credit card for it report it as an unauthorised deduction. A good credit card company will argue the case for you. I would not pay one Euro to them as it is just the same as leaving a shop then saying you got the wrong change.

Although not with Captain Morgan I had a similar thing with Budget car rental (I ALWAYS photograph the vehicle inside and out including milometer and fuel clocks prior to drop off)... 2 years in a row ... I reported to Amex as unauthorised and was instantly refunded. Amex then dealt with Budget directly giving them the opportunity to provide evidence.. they were unable to do this and so no charges were paid.

As for protecting yourself against the unlikely chance of you being sued you need to begin your statement with "In my opinion....."

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,661 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boat Hire Scam - Captain Morgan, Sliema

Holly

From my contacts I found out that Captain Morgan DOES NOT hire out speed boats.

This puts you in a bad light, since you are accusing the wrong party .

What probably happened , in my opinion , is that a Subagent who sells Captain Morgan cruises , hired you a boat and you assumed he was a Captain Morgan employee.

Malta is full of Captain Morgan subagents who sell for a commission, however, any other services that they offer may not be connected to this company .

Please be guided accordingly !!!!

Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,006 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boat Hire Scam - Captain Morgan, Sliema

Holly, In light of 643's statement I think it would be a good idea to check and double check your credit card statements and even inform the company of the possibility of an unauthorised claim for payment.

Seemed strange that Captain Morgan Tours would need to resort to scamming but an agent suddenly makes it become more plain.

You don't say where you hired the boat from (location I mean). I've never seen speedboat hire in Sliema where Captain Morgan predominantly operates from.

sliema
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Boat Hire Scam - Captain Morgan, Sliema

Dear Sir / Madam

We are in receipt of your email.

Please get your facts right before accusing a reputable company for any wrong doing.

First of all we do not hire any speed boats or any small boats whatsoever!! You must have hired it from a subagent who sells our excursions as well as other companies' excursions and trips. We have over 200 agents around the Island who sell our products/cruises as agents and as such we obviously have no control or authority to tell them what to do with the other products they sell.

I am sorry to hear about your bad experience. Perhaps if you let us know who you hired the boat from I can forward their contact details.

In future pleased ensure that you are contacting the right company as it is no fair that we are blamed for other people's wrong doing.

Kind regards

Kevin Zammit Briffa

General Manager

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,661 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Boat Hire Scam - Captain Morgan, Sliema

Holly

Suggest that you request TA to remove your post and repost it , with the correct details ?

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,280 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Boat Hire Scam - Captain Morgan, Sliema

Unfortunately nowadays when someone feels ill treated they immediately think "scam".

I think a scam is some sort of organised fraud and that is why I find it hard to believe that companies like Captain Morgan should all of a sudden resort to such schemes.

I'm ready to give the OP the benefit of the doubt in that they really thought Captain Morgan was hiring out the boat and responsible for the hire.

Internet is such a powerful medium that we have to be very careful before making serious accusations.

Get answers to your questions about Sliema