We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking in Sliema

2 posts
Save Topic
Parking in Sliema

Hi, my partner and I will be in Malta for 7 nights in May.

We want to book our last 4 nights in Sliema but are having trouble finding accommodation that has parking facilities, as we will be hiring a car. It seems that only the more expensive hotels have parking, and we are looking at fairly budget hotels or self catering places. Does anyone know of places that have parking?

Otherwise is there street parking available and is it safe?

Many thanks.

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,329 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking in Sliema

Parking in Sliema is difficult = different areas have problems at different times and different seasons.

There is a multi storey parking near the Ferries end of Sliema and one near the Sliema/St Julians boundary.

The Hotel Imperial has guest parking but I don't know if it's in your price range.

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,686 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking in Sliema

Parking may be difficult in Sliema, but not impossible . I visit Sliema regularly at different times and manage to park without having to use the car parks , even if it takes me some time and a good walk back to where I dropped off my better half :-)

As Hat said there is a carpark at the end of Tower road ,and also the Intercontinental has a car park .

The Palace Hotel (not sure about the name , Hat please confirm) next to the ex Capua hospital also has parking spaces underground .

I think the newly opened Tigne Point has got parking space , as well as the Fortina should have , but I am not sure .

I usually park along the Strand in front off 115 the Strand .

Just a few thoughts which passed in my space between ears !

Edited: 14 April 2010, 23:16
Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,686 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parking in Sliema

Just checked ..Fortina has got Free Parking

heartofmalta.com/hotel/malta/mt/sliema/forti…

Now I remember using it about 2 years ago !

And as I said even The Palace ..just double checked

heartofmalta.com/hotel/…the-palace.aspx

Edited: 14 April 2010, 23:23
malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,329 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Parking in Sliema

The Palace is 5* and there is the Victoria 4* round the corner that share the parking.

May shouldn't be that bad. In Summer locals come from all over Malta in the evenings for the Promenade and the bars there.

There are lots of offices, Banks in Sliema so when the employees leave at about 5 parking, becomes much easier . When the shops close at 7 more parking becomes available. Then at about 7.30 folk come to Sliema for a drink, meal or coffee.

It's not practical to go to Valletta by car so you'll have to leave the car behind.

There are also direct buses from Sliema to most places of interest.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
85 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Parking in Sliema

The Waterfront Hotel in Sliema has a underground car park.

waterfronthotelmalta.com/waterfront/home.aspx

Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Parking in Sliema

Quite intersting that almost every week there is a parking or lack of parking in Sliema story or letter in the Times of Malta. Admittedly they are from residents struggling to park outside their property but they alway do bring lively debate.

I've never really had too much problem parking but I only go there, dive then leave. Overnight may be different. The Waterfont is already mentioned and I think there is a multi-storey at the Fortina.

Newcastle
Destination Expert
for Malta, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
3,214 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Parking in Sliema

Why do you want to spend the last 4 nights in Sliema? Are you going to be in Gozo the rest of the time? Malta is tiny and you really don't need to move accomodation (unless you are on the other island part of the time) to see all of Malta.

My next question is - do you really need a car once in Sliema? Buses are frequent and cheap and go everywhere. May is early on in the season and won't be so hot that the buses are unbearable.

If after that you still want to stay in Sliema and still want to have the car, yes parking can be difficult at times but not impossible. You might not be able to park exactly outside your hotel and might have to go round the block a few times but we always stay in Sliema and I always manage to find a parking space eventually.

Scotland
Level Contributor
93 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Parking in Sliema

Why not just use the bus while in Sliema - Malta buses are great or use the boat to Valletta then bus to anywhere on island.

sydney australia
Level Contributor
2,246 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Parking in Sliema

3 yrs ago I stayed in Sliema along the popular promenade & we hired a car for just a couple of days of our 10 day stay. We usually found a parking spot down the side streets then later at night after the crowds had started to go back to their homes we would find a parking spot right out our door - it was like a little parking bay near the Gelataria - I would keep guard while my husband would get the car. It worked for us as we can see the car from our apartment & then we were off early in the mornings anyway. You only need the car to see the more outlying places such Golden Bay, dingli cliffs etc. certainly not for Valletta.

10. Re: Parking in Sliema

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 December 2010, 06:22
Get answers to your questions about Sliema
Recent Conversations