We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

accomodation in Sliema and transport from airport

Hungary, EUROPE
Level Contributor
736 posts
446 reviews
Save Topic
accomodation in Sliema and transport from airport

Hi All,

I have been to Sliema some 7 years ago with a tour operator and now I am organizing it on my own.

I need to find some decent but budget accomodation in Sliema, we used to stay at HOTEL EUROPA in 2003 but did not quite like it.

I have checked The Park Hotel and they seem to have fair internet prices but I am interested in other options if anyone could tell me better option. (two person with breakfast or half board)

Also is there some kind of transport (public) from the airport to Sliema ? Last time we used a taxi but was quite expensive....

Thanks in advance for any help, tips we can get.

Accomodation can be some apart hotel too.

Mentioned in this post
Sliema
Sliema
Island of Malta, Malta
Newcastle
Destination Expert
for Malta, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
3,182 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: accomodation in Sliema and transport from airport

Lots of accomodation in Sliema of different prices. Check out Sliema hotels on this website and you will find quite a few. You will also find reviews so that you can see what the accomodation is like.

Transport from the airport - bus 8 goes from the airport to Valletta and then you could get another bus from Valletta to Sliema. This is the cheapest option but buses don't run late into the evening so it depends on what time you are arriving in Malta. Cheaper option than a taxi is the transfer service where you are picked up from the airport alongside other passengers and all dropped off at your hotel. Check out FAQs on the right hand side of the forums page and you will find the info there

Mentioned in this post
Sliema
Sliema
Island of Malta, Malta
Valletta
Valletta
Island of Malta, Malta
Hungary, EUROPE
Level Contributor
736 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: accomodation in Sliema and transport from airport

Yeah, figured as much. I saw the hotels and I remember some of them from 2003. Apparently I was expecting some recommendations as prices seem to be quite expensive in july. So far I have been looking at "The Park Hotel"

Nicely priced and seems to be OK for a week.

Ok thanks for the info about BUS 8 - I tried to check FAQs for the other transportation option but could not find it. is it like a minibus that collects people and drop them off at their hotels? How much is it per person, do you know? Cheers

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
8,551 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: accomodation in Sliema and transport from airport

I stayed in the Park Hotel at Easter had what could be deemed as an apartement on the first floor used to be twin rooms now are a double with cookers fridges microwave etc with the supermarket just up the road it was ideal as breakfast was included got malta transfers from the airport this cost €28.00 return for two a lot easier than lugging cases into Valetta and then on buses to Sliema on some buses you have to pay for your cases as well. Look up booking.com have good deals in Sliema and the rest of Malta.

Mentioned in this post
Sliema
Sliema
Island of Malta, Malta
Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,685 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: accomodation in Sliema and transport from airport

The minibus transport costs €8 per person .

A taxi would be €25 per trip , up to 4 persons .

You have to wait for the minibus at least 20 minutes till it fills up and then stop at other hotels on the way .

July is the peak season and hotel prices will be getting higher , book as early as possible :-)

Edited: 11 May 2010, 08:21
winsford
Level Contributor
26 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: accomodation in Sliema and transport from airport

We have just returned from the plaza hotel in Sliema and found it ok to stay.

The cost can be found if you emailinfo@plazahotelsmalta.com hope this helps.

Mentioned in this post
Sliema
Sliema
Island of Malta, Malta
london/uk
Level Contributor
53 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: accomodation in Sliema and transport from airport

Terravision runs a 3-6 daily shuttle service from Malta Airport to Bugibba-Qawra(20mins), St Julian(40mins),and Sliema(60mins). A return ticket is eur 16.00, single eur 8.00. You can book it online www.terravision.eu. Please note: the drop offs are according to the above order.

If you have an accommodation in Sliema you might going to have a second thought about that 60mins...instead of 30mins by bus nr 8 To Valletta. However, from Valletta you still need to make your way to Sliema by another bus. Overall it might also take an hour.

The Terravision bus will drop you at Sliema near Milano Due, Preluna, Plaza Hotel. It might be sensible to check those hotel options as well.

I hope it helped. Best of luck

Mentioned in this post
Bugibba
Bugibba
Island of Malta, Malta
Qawra
Qawra
Island of Malta, Malta
Saint Julian's
Saint Julian's
Island of Malta, Malta
Valletta
Valletta
Island of Malta, Malta
Sliema
Sliema
Island of Malta, Malta
Preluna Hotel & Spa
Preluna Hotel & Spa
2,313 Reviews
Island of Malta, Malta
Hungary, EUROPE
Level Contributor
736 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: accomodation in Sliema and transport from airport

thanks a lot for all the tips. maltatransfer costs EUR 7 per head so its okay.

I have booked a room for 2 with breakfast for EUR 49 special rate via agoda.

Hotel offer was EUR 80 so I should call this a super deal :)

We are ready to go ! :)

Newcastle
Destination Expert
for Malta, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
3,182 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: accomodation in Sliema and transport from airport

Enjoy your holiday

9. Re: accomodation in Sliema and transport from airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 November 2010, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Sliema
Recent Conversations