We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Help Please" Rue D Argens

Bathgate
Level Contributor
77 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
"Help Please" Rue D Argens

My mum and dad have arrived at Ashlake House and they have had to find somewhere else to stay as this is not suitable for a number of reasons mainly one towel left for them to use for 3 weeks, all the dishes and cutlery chipped, no where for them to sit in the evening apart from 4 wooden chairs, they are really upset and the owner has refused to give them back any of their deposit they are in their 70's please please can anyone help and tell us what to do next, can we contact someone who could get involved and help us out. He said if he can rent the house he would give them back the money but he was very lucky he rented it in the first place.

Sliema
Level Contributor
536 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "Help Please" Rue D Argens

I am really disgusted to hear things like this. It gives the better places a very bad name let alone Malta. If it was me I wouldn'r hesitate to get in touch with the ministry of Tourism and air your views. I am sure they will help you. All these places are suppose to be licensed and wouldn't be given the ok until the inspection is made. I reapeat again i am so sorry to hear thisa bout your parents going through this ordeal. Almost makes me wish I could take them in my home if I had the room. But next time maybe it is better to book through a holiday accomodation agency which could easily be found on the internet.

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,685 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "Help Please" Rue D Argens

I would contact

Malta Travel Authority Customer Care

Ms Colette Grech

E mail : colette.grech@visitmalta.com

Freephone: 80072230

Telephone: 22915444-6

and give her the complete details . I would still try to get a refund from the owner and possibly claim your insurance for services not rendered .

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,685 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "Help Please" Rue D Argens

Having said the above , I am very sorry for your parents problems , and hope that they can enjoy the rest of their holidays .

I am curious to know how you where let down if you had known that this accomodation was a self catering apartment with minimum service attached ?

Half a dozen towels would not have cost much from the store up the road !

Bathgate
Level Contributor
77 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "Help Please" Rue D Argens

Many thanks I will certainly be contacting the tourist board. Below is what mum and dad have emailed.

When we complained, the guy said it was used mostly by students. That was probably a good description of the place. A Grotty student flat furnished with a hotch potch of charity shop rejects. Certainly not suitable for a three week stay by pensioners

!. The Lounge consisted of five mismatched kitchen chairs and a kitchen table - no easy chairs. No where to sit and relax. Overhead lighting was dull and insufficient for reading in the evening.

2.Crockery was five mixed and chipped mugs and there was insufficient cutlery.

3 Beds were grubby and only had one sheet - not too clean

4.Showers were unclean and the work surfaces in the kitchen were cracked and loose tiles

5.Location was up a steep hill miles from the front and not as stated. Totally unsuitable for us old crocks!!

6.No internet - although this was described on the advert

7 Only one small towel per person and no change of sheets

8. No free access to washing machine as stated

9 Roof space only had four rickety garden chairs and no sun shade

10. Has withheld 500 pounds deposit and refuses a refund.

They also said they could go on but they have lost the will to live, they have been coming to Malta many times and have stayed in lovely places the reason the choose this house was because it gave them freedom to cook and thought they would have somewhere to relax and enjoy the balcony in the evenings, I just feel they were mis sold the house and it;s not fair. Not to mention the stress they are under, they are out of pocket for taxi's phone calls, internet cafe need I go on, probably though it will not stop them coming to a country they love so much....

5. Re: "Help Please" Rue D Argens

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2010, 14:46
Bathgate
Level Contributor
77 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: "Help Please" Rue D Argens

The thing is my mum and dad have no contract only email so really they should be entitled to their money back, I booked them an apartment a few years ago a lot of money and yet again the same thing happened it was just so unsuitable and nothing like what was advertised, I was adament it would not happen again and checked and re checked with the owner and it has happend I am gutted for them as they love Malta so much, I have told them to enjoy their holiday and put it behind them, we have also had a bad experience booking a hotel but it worked out great it was not suitable, dirty and very small room, but they re-located us and our holiday was fab, I just feel the owner could do a lot more than just withhold their deposit, they have also given him back they keys so in theory he has the house and their money, bloody shame to go through this, when it has taken them all year to save to go to Malta..

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,685 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: "Help Please" Rue D Argens

Morita

As a Maltese, I find your comment a bit ? distasteful :-)

Putting everyone in the same basket shows a high degree of ........ityty?

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
10,182 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: "Help Please" Rue D Argens

Morita

I suppose there are bad apples in every barrel , but the Maltese as a nation are no more money grabbing than a lot of others.

Most Maltese are honest and treat visitors well.

You shouldn`t blame a whole nation for the actions of a small number.

Graham.

9. Re: "Help Please" Rue D Argens

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2010, 14:46
10. Re: "Help Please" Rue D Argens

Removed on: 01 June 2010, 13:22
Get answers to your questions about Sliema
Recent Conversations