We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport from airport

wales
Level Contributor
65 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Transport from airport

Hello

I am going to Malta in March for a week, staying in Sliema. Can anyone advise the best route to get to the hotel. I have looked at some airport shuttle transfers, but if anyone has any other ideas please let me know.

Many thanks

Theresa

Mentioned in this post
Sliema
Sliema
Island of Malta, Malta
Newcastle
Destination Expert
for Malta, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
3,182 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transport from airport

Depends on what time of day you arrive. If you arrive during the day you could get the local bus - No 8 - into Valletta and then another one to Sliema from there. Just be aware that, yes it is cheap but there is really anwhere to put your luggage as it's just a regular bus. It's fine if you don't have too much luggage.

Your other options are airport transfer where you get dropped off along with other people, this is cheaper if you are travelling on your own, less worth it the more of you there are

You could then get a taxi, either just get one from the airport - there is a taxi booth at the airport where you pay (fixed rates) then you go outside and the first taxi there takes you to your destination. Otherwise you can pre-book a taxi, we always use Kevin's taxis www.kevintaxis@hotmail.com. Cost is about 20-25 euros and might be slightly cheaper by prebooking

Hope this helps, you could also check out the FAQ on the top right hand corner of the forum page and all this should be on there too with other taxi firms email addresses

Mentioned in this post
Valletta
Valletta
Island of Malta, Malta
Sliema
Sliema
Island of Malta, Malta
wales
Level Contributor
65 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transport from airport

thank you for your information. There will be 2 of us travelling. I have been looking at travel republic and it is working out quite cheap, £7.50 both ways.

If you have any other tips for visiting sliema they would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Theresa

Newcastle
Destination Expert
for Malta, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
3,182 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transport from airport

Sliema is great, lots of bars and restaurants to visit, cafes too as well as plenty of shops. There is a very long promenade which is ideal for a stroll all the way to St Julian's or in the opposite direction to Gzira and then Ta'Xbiex. You must visit Valletta - just hop on a local bus from the promenade - as the capital city has lots to see and is completely different to Sliema, much older with fantastic buildings. Go and see the Grand Harbour from the Upper Barakka Gardens, visit the Palace and the Armoury, St John's Co Cathedral, walk down to Fort St Elmo and go see the Malta Experience.

Visit Mdina, the old capital of Malta, it is a walled city and it's great just walking along the narrow streets, looking out over the Bastions. Visit Fontanella for tea or coffee and their famous cakes.

Take a tour to Gozo for the day

Visit the fishing village of Marsaxlokk

Hope this helps, something to be getting on with

Enjoy your stay

Mentioned in this post
Saint Julian's
Saint Julian's
Island of Malta, Malta
Valletta
Valletta
Island of Malta, Malta
Sliema
Sliema
Island of Malta, Malta
St. John's Co-Cathedral
St. John's Co-Cathedral
8,761 Reviews
Island of Malta, Malta
The Malta Experience
The Malta Experience
1,742 Reviews
Island of Malta, Malta
wales
Level Contributor
65 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transport from airport

Thank you for your information. I am sure we will have a brill time, I will let you know when I get back how it went.

Theresa

UK
Level Contributor
368 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transport from airport

Hi! We are also stopping in Sliema at the end of the month and have booked our transfers through Travel Republic. It was £18 for 2 adults with a private taxi transfer (return), only £4 more than a shared shuttle transfer.

wales
Level Contributor
65 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transport from airport

Hello

we have also booked ours through travel republic and it cost £14 for both of us for return journey. We are arriving on the 13th March and leaving on 20th so we will miss each other.

Have you been to Sliema before, if so have you any tips.

Theresa

Mentioned in this post
Sliema
Sliema
Island of Malta, Malta
UK
Level Contributor
368 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transport from airport

Hi! No, we've never been to Malta before, but I've been reading the forums for tips on what to see. I have booked tickets for the Hypogeum online last week and they are now already sold out for the date we have planned to visit, so glad we booked the tickets early!!

Have a great week!!

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
8,551 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transport from airport

A short walk from Sliema is St Julians where you have the Barracuda restaurant or Peperoncino on 8 bay street Baluta Bay but you also have lots in Sliema like Mint for lunch and lovely places along the Sliema waterfront.

Mentioned in this post
Sliema
Sliema
Island of Malta, Malta
Saint Julian's
Saint Julian's
Island of Malta, Malta
Barracuda Restaurant
Barracuda Restaurant
1,414 Reviews
Island of Malta, Malta
BELFAST
Level Contributor
458 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transport from airport

Try kevin mifsud [kevintaxis@hotmail.com] - kevins Taxis 18 Euro each way

Sandra Kevin's Taxi Services 00356 99486950

Newcastle upon...
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Transport from airport

Hi, I would be interested in how you booked your transfer through travel republic? I am travelling from the airport to the Diplomat hotel in Sliema on 22nd March at about 8.30pm and back 29th at 6pmish. Yours sounds ideal to me

Mentioned in this post
Diplomat Hotel Malta
Diplomat Hotel Malta
1,058 Reviews
Island of Malta, Malta
Get answers to your questions about Sliema
Recent Conversations