We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommended Restaurants & Bars around 115 The Strand Hotel

Which Sliema hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lymm, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
284 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Recommended Restaurants & Bars around 115 The Strand Hotel

We have finally booked our accommodation at The Strand Hotel in Sliema, and now I am trying to investigate places to eat. We tend to like making our evening meal the focal point of our evening, but also like to eat where locals eat, as then it tends to be more authentic food. We don't want to pay stupid prices, and are not keen on eating pasta more than say once a week, the same with Pizza.

It would be nice if somebody could recommend any bars which are not noisy, (we don't like loud music) but where we can people watch, or where there is some live music, but easy listening. We particularly enjoy folk music.

Obviously as we are in Sliema for 2 weeks, we will find places ourselves, but the initial few days, we would be glad to utilise recommendations.

Another consideration is that my husband cannot walk very far, so preferably quite near to the hotel, unless of course there was somewhere really good in which case we could always get a taxi.

Lymm, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
284 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommended Restaurants & Bars around 115 The Strand Hotel

I am a bit worried that there are no replies and wonder if there are no good restaurants in the area we have booked our accommodation!!

Please can somebody enlighten me

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
8,562 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommended Restaurants & Bars around 115 The Strand Hotel

Although I can`t personally recomend any individual restaurant I can assure you that there are lots of cafes and restaurants all along the front.

You will have no problems at all.

Graham.

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
8,049 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommended Restaurants & Bars around 115 The Strand Hotel

Lymmbo some great restaurants in and around Sliema and St Julians in St Julians you have Barracudas and Pepercino all along the Seafront in Sliema you have some wonderful restaurants and coffee shops if you look at the section on the top left you will find a good cross section and I will get back to you later with some more closer to your hotel.

Lymm, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
284 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommended Restaurants & Bars around 115 The Strand Hotel

Thanks Wrappido, We don't go till 2 May so you have a little time to let me know and I will be extremely grateful

Bradford
Level Contributor
1,185 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommended Restaurants & Bars around 115 The Strand Hotel

Hi

We stayed at the Waterfront very near the Strand and I would recommend the following

Cafe Jubillee (old posters and prints on wall, live jazz on Weds - noisy music at weekends though) - food good and their Jubillee red wine excellent

Tri Angeli - only had pasta here but it was nice - cheap beer and wine and good for people watching as it is on the main promenade road - a bit noisy though from traffic and other bars

The best was Ta Kris on a side alley just off a street that is currently being worked on but may be finished when you get there - about a 10 min walk from hotel - excellent food, atmosphere and proces - their mix of dips with bread & crackers starter is more than enough for 2 so be warned!

Chez Phillipe also gets good recommendations but we did not try it as it was a little pricey for us

Have a great time

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
8,049 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommended Restaurants & Bars around 115 The Strand Hotel

In all the times I have been to Malta I never had pasta dont like it but had lots of great fish and Rabbit and Cakes.

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
884 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommended Restaurants & Bars around 115 The Strand Hotel

You don't say when you are going but I assume fairly soon. Cafe Jubilee (turn RIGHT outside 115 Strand, about 200 metres) can feel crowded and noisy at times but good atmosphere, no outside seating. T urn LEFT and there are a number of places to eat and watch the world go by. Some of them more touristy than others. Have heard good reports of Tre Angeli, (about 150 metres). Further down, next to BHS, (about 450 metres) large bar TONYS, does food all day and evening, outdoor seating, great for people watching. Ta Kris, Bisazza Street (go further on past fountain, take next left up hill, then up an alley on your right before Pizza Hut) (about 150 metres further on from BHS ) is well patronised by locals. (Street is a bit of a mess right now doing improvements!) Any other questions, get back to me by all means!

Lymm, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
284 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recommended Restaurants & Bars around 115 The Strand Hotel

Thanks for the information SeanB87. We go 2nd May for 2 weeks, and would prefer to eat the local cuisine, as we can have things like Pizza here in the UK, albeit that there is always the chance to get a really authentic Pizza which is far better than International Food, eg Pizza Hut.

We also like accoustic music, ie not load speakers, so if there are any bars which have somebody singing, and especially folk music, we would be interested if you know of them.

Bradford
Level Contributor
1,185 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Recommended Restaurants & Bars around 115 The Strand Hotel

Hi again - I didn't find any local folk music (my passion too) but the jazz at Cafe Jubilee was good - not sure if it is every Wednesday

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
884 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Recommended Restaurants & Bars around 115 The Strand Hotel

Although I help with music tours to Malta - they are mostly choral and band music, so not got gen on folk scene. However, pop into the hotel Kennedy Nova next door (it is open to the public). Bar and restaurant on ground floor usually has a singer/keyboard player most nights, and chat to him! Or else ask one of the receptionists in there (say that Sean sent you to ask! - I will be back there with the band in July!) or ask the receptionist at 115. Meantime will email a couple of my contacts to see if they can help

Get answers to your questions about Sliema