We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hypogeum- Visit with elderly father!

Hexham...
Level Contributor
162 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Hypogeum- Visit with elderly father!

Hi we are visiting malta in November, and we are taking my

elderly father who is 83. Would you recommend the Hypogeum

for elderly folks.

Cambridgeshire
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hypogeum- Visit with elderly father!

Personally I have never been to the Hypogeum, however I have seen it on TV and it looks fascinating. Remember it is underground so there will be many steps down, then you walk along a raised walkway, this is evidently to preserve the place. As long as your father is mobile and can cope with several flights of stairs then he should be fine.

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
8,701 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hypogeum- Visit with elderly father!

I have visited the Hypogeum ( several years ago ) .

As Macl1uk says you have to walk down to it and although it is not too difficult you father does need to be fairly good on his feet.

If he can walk quite well ther should be no great problem

Graham

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
884 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Hypogeum- Visit with elderly father!

If he is generally mobile and also doesn't suffer from claustrophobia then he wil be fine. The walkways and stairs are all accesssible. Also note that he will qualify for a cheaper rate, BUT do book as early as you can (sometimes 3 or 4 months ahead) because of limited spaces.

Merseyside, United...
Level Contributor
244 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hypogeum- Visit with elderly father!

We visited in May 2011 with an 8 year old. It was very impressive and worth visiting. They do warn you that the steps can be slippery although we didn't experience this.

The steps are quite accessible and it doesn't go down as deep as you first imagine. It is quite dark though to preserve the place and sometimes a bit too dark due to the fact each section lights up before you enter it so if you're at the front or rear you can be thrown into to a dim lit place quite rapidly.

There is 1 quite low point that if you're over about 5'5" then you need to stoop your head a little, due to the darkness I managed to stand up too early and banged my head a little.

As the others have said if he is fairly able then it shouldn't be a problem, the tour doesn't move too fastly although one of the problems is if you need to hold on to stair rails quite well (like with a child or possibily an older person) then you have to take the phone like tour guide away from your ear and can miss little bits and pieces of information.

The last other warning will depend on how well the manners of your fellow tourists are. We unfortunately got stuck with 6 or 7 quite rude german tourists who had no problem pushing past a small child and blocking the views from anyone else who wished to view the various points. Be warned! the european way of pushing doesn't escape such a rare and beautiful gem!

Edited: 14 June 2011, 09:37
5. Re: Hypogeum- Visit with elderly father!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 03:18
Get answers to your questions about Sliema