We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

maltese bars.

Tralee, Ireland
9 posts
Save Topic
maltese bars.

Any good maltese bars,ie non touristy in st julians/sliema area

Tom

Mansfield, United...
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: maltese bars.

Yes loads

Sun in splendour is packed with a good mix of locals and older British

Crows nest is one of my favorites just off spinola bay next to dicks bar.

Hiccups bar with your host Charlie. Cheap and he does a killer burger.

These are Not fancy Dan places therefore you will not pay fancy Dan prices.

Which hotel are you staying at and I will guide you to what's close to you.

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,680 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: maltese bars.

Find the janitor or the pool technician at the hotel and ask him where he goes for a drink and go pay him a beer there !

You will be in a good local bar !

Welcome to Malta

Yes lots

I hang out at the Lady Di , which is in Sliema near Bisazza Street

round the corner HughHallet street , I think ?

Edited: 03 October 2011, 20:54
malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,302 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: maltese bars.

City of London Bar - with quite a history- opposite Neptunes Water Polo Club..

Maybe the bars in Sliema have a higher proportion of locals to those in St Julians. But practically all bars and restaurants are patronised by locals as well as tourists.

4. Re: maltese bars.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 20 October 2011, 12:51
Edited: 20 October 2011, 12:51
Comino, Malta
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: maltese bars.

That should of read the "higher" the score out of 10 the more touristy they are.

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,680 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: maltese bars.

Sunday morning , I go for cheesecakes and tea at the Duke of Connaught bar in Rabat , Siggiewi , if you want to join me around 10 .

Agree totally with you , that these bars are full of tourists just like Gooch , but sometimes they let us locals in , for some flavour !!!!!

I also go for Fried Rabbit in garlic and caper sauce at the Mgarr football club later on sunday , but how will Gooch make it there ?

You are a real ASSet to this webpage and the Maltese tourism industry :-)

7. Re: maltese bars.

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2011, 12:50
Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
884 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: maltese bars.

Try the band clubs, gooch, especially towards the weekend, inc Sunday mornings (tends to be cheaper here as well!). You may think to start with that people are giving you strange looks, but start to look at some of the pictures of the fireworks and the feast on display, ask a couple of questions, and you will find they become animated and very friendly.

I don't know why Siggiewi is so down on tourism. It is, after all tourists who bring some wealth to the country, and many of us appreciate the Maltese people and way of life. I agree that some bars are a bit like little England, with karaoke, burger and chips and a "get it down your neck" attitude (and I dislike them as well), but none of the bars mentioned so far is like that. They may have a British flavour, but they are well patronised by locals as well. As for the names, some of the oldest bars in the villages are truly local, and have names like The Allies Bar, King George V Bar; there are band clubs with the names of Queen Victoria (Zurrieq) and the Duke of Connaught (Birkirkara).

643's advice is good - ask the locals who work at your hotel!

9. Re: maltese bars.

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2011, 12:50
Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
9,748 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: maltese bars.

For a snack in a non touristy bar I suggest you try the Cafe De Paris in Qormi.

Fantasticaly cheap excellent food and a good atmosphere with no tourists --- except when I am there.

Graham

Get answers to your questions about Sliema
Recent Conversations