We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ale in Sliema

Which Sliema hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
portsmouth england
Level Contributor
696 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Ale in Sliema

Hello peeples

What beer do you get there

Being an ale drinker I cannot stand that God Awful lager stuff and not too keen on the "smooth" beers

so where do I go for a decent pint

PS at a push I can go for a Magners

Will be arriving on 23rd of April so would like to raise a glass for St George on his day

Ta

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Agadir
Level Contributor
2,200 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ale in Sliema

If you don't mind cans, then most pubs sell ales and beers in cans. Few do draught ale, but it is mostly local lager Kisk that is popular in draught.

Happy drinking.

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
8,567 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ale in Sliema

Farsons brewery started making bitters and IPAs a long time ago because of the large number of British servicemen.

At the moment they make a few different ales as well as their lagers'

The most popular are Hopleaf and my favourite , Blue Label.

There are no cask beers available , only keg or bottle. The bottled are the best.

There is also Farsons strong Ale which is a high alcohol beer ,very tasty but not easy to find.

Just out of interest there is a milk stout , similar to Mackeson which is only available in bottles from supermarkets.

Have a good stay in Malta.

Graham

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
8,567 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ale in Sliema

I forgot to say the milk stout is called Farsons Lacto . It is very nice.

Graham

portsmouth england
Level Contributor
696 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ale in Sliema

thanks chaps

Ostrava, Czech...
Level Contributor
42 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ale in Sliema

Blue Label is probably your best bet if you're going for a Maltese beer. Good pubs are places like the Plough & Anchor, Dubliner, Lady Di pub and Changes bar (but there's no shortage).

London
Level Contributor
1,344 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ale in Sliema

Hi

Graham, or miseryguts (as my brother calls him) the landlord at The Pub in Valletta, does a reasonable draught pint of Bombardier (BANG ON!) for €2.6 a pint. Unfortunately its keg but OK.

For directions and more about this illustrious pub, just Google it.

P.S. don't expect complimentary peanuts or Satellite TV football, you used to get these but the landlord is getting tight in his old age, and take a joke book, as laughs are few and far between.

Go on the 23rd and raise a glass to Ollie, Shakespeare & St George..BANG ON! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQBAH_rfWLM

Cheers

Ntd

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
8,567 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ale in Sliema

Until I reread your post I thought it was me that was miseryguts !!

Graham

London
Level Contributor
1,344 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ale in Sliema

ha, ha

Sorry Graham - it does read a bit like that, so if you're not like Jack Dee sucking on a lemon whilst popping valium, then certainly not a miseryguts.

When the landlord's Maltese wife is behind the bar at the Pub, the atmoshere improves no end.

Oh, & for the original poster, there are bars on the island that sell bottled Belgian beers, Andrew's Bar used to have a big selection and Donald at the Sun in Splendour sells a few.

Ntd

9. Re: Ale in Sliema

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 May 2013, 10:29
Get answers to your questions about Sliema