We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Book with travel agent or book hotel myself?

Ayr, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
69 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Book with travel agent or book hotel myself?

I was wondering if it is cheaper to book my own flight and hotel? If so, is it easy to get it all arranged?

I found an hotel that was taking 13 euro a night but a travel company wants £888 for a two week holiday to the same hotel.. Doesn't seem to add up to me but maybe there is a lot I'm not taking into consideration?

Any help would be appreciated.

Sussex
Level Contributor
288 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Book with travel agent or book hotel myself?

You could also try Maltadirect.com if you want to look at hotels and packages.

I have to say, we are converted to the independant booking with Malta, everything seems to be easy and works very well - not to mention saving a couple of hundred on a two week holiday compared to the likes of Thomson :o)

Bridgend,Mid Glam
Level Contributor
83 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Book with travel agent or book hotel myself?

Hi,

I started bookinhg holidays independently only a year ago, I am going to Malta soon :) 2 days time, Flights Ryan air from local airport - Hotel through tripadvisor which is offering free breakfast (usual charge 14 euros each The Palace Sliema) return transport for transfer airport/hotel through travel republic. Lots of tips from tripadvisor as always very helpful. Been to Malta several times - we love it. We usually hire a car (and cross our fingers) but this time we think we will use the bus for 12 euros for a week. From Sliema get the bus to Valletta - from Valletta you can get everywhere. Try It - go and enjoy - all the locals are friendly, helpful and welcoming.

London
Level Contributor
1,349 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Book with travel agent or book hotel myself?

Hi

A retired, but fit, friend of mine and his wife visited for the first time last Nov on a weeks package. He said that although they got to see lots of things, by mid week they started to feel a bit tired of the excursions and being marched around in a group with a guide that they just wanted to spend much more time getting around under their own steam (on the buses) and discovering things for themselves.

cheers

Ntd

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,350 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Book with travel agent or book hotel myself?

Living on an island off an island really cuts down our flight options.

Discovered that we can fly from Belfast with either Easy jet holidays or Chevron. looking at 3/4 star hotels or apts in Sliema.

Another question------Is late September a good time to visit, temperature wise.? will use the pool but really want to see as much of the island, on our first visit , as we can.Not really group excursion people.

Thanks again.

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Book with travel agent or book hotel myself?

September is a nice time to visit . It can be very hot but not usually the fierce temperatures of July / August.

However you can get some storms . quite heavy but they don`t normally last very long and are often at night,

Bathing water should be warmer as it has had all summer to heat up..

Graham

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
8,220 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Book with travel agent or book hotel myself?

The easiest and cheapest way to get to Malta from Dublin is Ryanair get a bus from the airport to Sliema which is like DunLaoghaire long promonade nice hotels lots of restaurants and two for a d4 resident would have to be Barracuda and Peperoncino both in St Julians and for the best burgers Il Fortizzia in Sliema.The bus will cost you €12.00 for the week the HO/HO is €15 and includes a ferry trip around Valetta Harbour lasts about 2 hours fantastic in September.

17. Re: Book with travel agent or book hotel myself?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 06:41
Get answers to your questions about Sliema