We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Comino Island - Blue Lagoon

Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Topic
Comino Island - Blue Lagoon

Hi guys,

Me and my girlfriend are travelling to Malta at the end of April for 5 nights and would love to go see the Blue Lagoon.

I was just wondering how long it would take to get there via bus (our hotel is the Palace in Sliema), or if there are any cruises available. If there are, how much do they cost, and do they come with any extras etc? Just need to know what people would recommend.

Also, where are the best beaches to go to, and how far are they (walking/bus) from Sliema.

Cheers

Wirral
Level Contributor
93 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Comino Island - Blue Lagoon

You will need to take a boat to get to the Blue Lagoon & there are usually plenty of companies on Sliema sea front offering trips. I know that Captain Morgan Cruises go there, but when I looked on their website it looks like they may only start in May, but this might be different once you get there. They are charging 35 Euros which also includes pick up from your accommodation together with lunch on the boat.

The largest beach is Mellieha, at the north of the island, it is a nice sandy beach. Personally I've never really tried any of the other beaches, but people say that Golden Sands is also a good beach. Not sure of exact timings on the bus, but would say approximately 30 minutes or so from Sliema to Mellieha.

Enjoy your holiday

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
9,840 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Comino Island - Blue Lagoon

Sliema to Mellieha is more likely to take about 50 minutes .

Golden Bay is a very nice beach but a lot smaller than Mellieha.

A ferry runs between Cirkewwa and Comino.

Graham

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Agadir
Level Contributor
2,201 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Comino Island - Blue Lagoon

Ishiv,

Millieha is the answer to both your questions:

BLUE LAGOON

From Millieah’s tanny Jetty by the Mexican restaurant at the sea front you can get a cruise to Comino Island and the Blue Lagoon.

The English Rose cruise depart every day at 11:00 and returns at 17:00

On the way you get to sail through some amazing caves, where the skippers slows the boat and let people admire and take pictures of these stunning places. You get to the Blue Lagoon at 12:00, and you will have three hours to spend at this beautiful place, You will never see blue sea water like the one at Blue Lagoon. Throughout this time the boat would be still at your disposal to relax, sunbathe or dive from it.

Next you get to sail to Crystal Lagoon, another stunning sea where you spend 1 hour snorkelling and swimming or rock climbing. Again the boat is docked, and you can use it as platform for diving.

Throughout the journey, Alessandro the skipper and his assistant Franco are at hand explaining the places you go through, and generally chatting with you for as long as you like. Extremely friendly guys.

The skipper also provides Snorkels to use for free

This trip costs 12 Euros, but you must get there around 10:00 to get a place. The boat does quickly fill up.

BEST BEACHES

In Millieha you will find the best beach in Malta. It is crystal clear water and very sandy beach. Not far there is Paradise beach

Another nice sandy beach is Golden bay.

The journey by bus No11 from Sliema to Millieha is about 40 minutes.

I hope this is of some help

Cheers

Cas

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
9,840 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Comino Island - Blue Lagoon

The number 11 bus no longer exists it was cancelled in November last year.

It was replaced by the 222 which goes from Sliema to Cirkewwa in a more direct route. It passes through St Pauls Bay but not into Bugibba /Qawra.

As Cas says the English Rose gives a reliable regular service

Graham

Merseyside, United...
Level Contributor
244 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Comino Island - Blue Lagoon

Cas11 you give a lot of advice out about "Mellieha" but always fail to spell it correctly, instead putting "Millieha"

It isn't a major criticism, just for someone who knows a lot about the place and gives a lot of welcome advice about it, I find it odd that you never fail to spell the place name correctly.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Agadir
Level Contributor
2,201 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Comino Island - Blue Lagoon

Well spotted Fatheadstoops,

I just hope that the pronunciation is more authentic than the spelling. .and yes I know a lot about the place.

Raise a glass of Cisk anytme to Millieha ( sorry Mellieha)

Cheers

Cas

Southport, United...
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Comino Island - Blue Lagoon

Will the sea be warm enough to snorkel and swim end april

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Agadir
Level Contributor
2,201 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Comino Island - Blue Lagoon

Judging by years gone by, normally the sea should be warm enough for a splash at end of April, and I hope thi patterne continue for you when you go.

Mother Nature's behaviour is one thing no human can predict.

Fingers crossed for you for a good warm end of April

Cas

9. Re: Comino Island - Blue Lagoon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 15:17
Get answers to your questions about Sliema
Recent Conversations