We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anything to see old architecture in Sliema ?

Chiba, Japan
Level Contributor
115 posts
171 reviews
Save Topic
Anything to see old architecture in Sliema ?

We'll stay at Sliema hotel for 6 nights in Nov. and other than shopping, dining, sun-bathing, we want to walk around in Sliema. Now wondering if there is any old architecture, houses of local people left in the back street with atmosphere of old fishing village? Is it worthwhile to see or old ones are all demolished and changed into new buildings ?

The Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Saint Julian's
Level Contributor
2,872 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anything to see old architecture in Sliema ?

To be honest I don't find the architecture in Sliema all that inspiring although many of the houses on the back streets are quite old. The sea front on both sides is very nice and there are some amazing views. If you walk along the Promenade towards St Julians you will see some great architecture, my favourite of whichis around Balluta Bay and when you enter St Julians you do initially get the impression of the fishing village it used to be especially around Spinola Bay. If you want to see a working fishing village I would recommend taking a bus trip to Marsaxlokk which is still very pretty and has some great sea food restaurants good for lunch. The capital Valletta, the 3 Cities and Mdina are all recommended for interesting architecture and can be easily reached from Sliema. Overall Sliema is an excellent base.

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
9,202 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anything to see old architecture in Sliema ?

This is a very interesting question .

I am specifically interested in the work of one architect who lived in Sliema and have spent some time looking at his work.

Emanuel Luigi Galizia ( 1830 - 1906 ) was a prominent Maltese architect who worked his way up from an assistant in the works department to become a member of the Royal British architects.

In the 1860 he was commisioned by the leader of Turkey to design a Muslim cemetary . This place with it`s minarets and moorish designs can be seen in Marsa , near the horse racing track.

He went on to design many other buildings many in the gothic revival .

After extensive travells round England and France studying their cemataries he returned and designed the St Maria Adllorata cemetary in Paola with it`s large perpendicular church at it`s top.

His other works are ;

Victoria Gate in Valletta

Mgarr church --- gothic British type with steeple --- in Gozo.

Extension to the church at Balluta Bay in St Julians.

If you find Rudolph Street in Sliema ( in an area called Savoy ) there are two very interesting houses which he designed and actually lived in one.

They are once again of Moorish design with typical arched windows and look really lovely . The two are sibe by side and the one he lived in was the right hand side one named appropriately Alhambra.

Hope this has been of some interest and enjoy your stay.

Graham

Chiba, Japan
Level Contributor
115 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anything to see old architecture in Sliema ?

Many thanks for your precious comments, everybody !

I almost got an idea what's the town like and where to go in the island. And Graham's comment is an interesting one to know about the Maltese architecture. I have many things to study about Malta beforehand everyday from history, culture, custom to nowadays' life. Looking forward to visiting Malta in Nov. !

Thanks again.

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,297 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anything to see old architecture in Sliema ?

To get the atmosphere of an old fishing village it would be better to walk along the Promenade towards Balluta and St. Julians. Pre WWll Sliema houses were used mainly (1) Summer residences for wealthy Maltese (2) Accomodation for the families of the British Armed Forces.

The original houses were either along the sea front (most sadly demolished and rebuilt as blocks of apartments) or in the vicinity of the Ferries area . The Ferry between Sliema and Valletta was very popular. This is a video clip of the houses Graham mentioned http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaBc_x9uofc

www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaBc_x9uofc

Chiba, Japan
Level Contributor
115 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anything to see old architecture in Sliema ?

Thank you so much, hat776. This is the useful info and watched youtube video which is quite interesting for me. At the same time, I found another youtube about the old Sliema which is very easy to get the image of it. Thanks again.

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,297 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anything to see old architecture in Sliema ?

Graham you can see lots of photos of the Sliema Promenade with all those lovely Edwardian houses. But to those of us who can actually remember them it's heart breaking. So much destruction in the name of progress.

At least Balluta Buildings in Balluta Bay escaped the fate of the Sliema houses.

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
9,202 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anything to see old architecture in Sliema ?

Hat

It is very sad the way those houses and villas on the front in Sliema have been demolished to make way for more uninteresting flats.

Luckily a lot of the inland parts of the town still retain some nice streets with old properties , Rudolph Street is a good example.

Let`s hope MEPA stop more damage being done.

Graham

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,297 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anything to see old architecture in Sliema ?

Most of the inner core of Sliema can't be demolished. Or rather the facade can't. In certain roads new building is allowed as long as the facade is kept . If you want to add on floors you can't build on the front room so that the facade remains unchanged.

london
Level Contributor
416 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anything to see old architecture in Sliema ?

You might enjoy the photo's and video's in the link below

http://www.sra.org.mt/photo-gallery?l=1

Chiba, Japan
Level Contributor
115 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anything to see old architecture in Sliema ?

Thank you for finding me an interesting site. Surely I can enjoy watching this.

Get answers to your questions about Sliema