We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Run up to christmas

manchester england
Level Contributor
25 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Run up to christmas

We will be visiting Valletta mid November. Will the Christmas lights be on? When are the cribs put up? Hoping to get in the Christmas spirit as well as enjoying our favourite island

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,684 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Run up to christmas

Some shops may be lit up , but sorry to say , that maybe you are two weeks too early . I am still in my short sleeves !

I saw one supermarket and a shop putting up christmas trees and christmas fathers today even as I say this !

Maybe xmas will come earlier this year, hopefully next week when the budget is out of the suitcase bag :-) Abracadabra !!!!

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
9,844 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Run up to christmas

Hi 643amc.

How is Christmas going to come earlier this year ? ? ?

Perhaps moving it to 25th of November ! ! ! !

Graham.

3. Re: Run up to christmas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 06 November 2009, 18:12
Newcastle
Destination Expert
for Malta, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
3,167 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Run up to christmas

Christmas in Malta doesn't start as early as here in the UK, usually by the first week in December. We start way too early here in my opinion, stuff starts appearing in the shops as early as September!! But of course this is just my opinion :)

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
9,844 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Run up to christmas

HI twirl.

You are dead right. Christmas starts far too early but it does need to so that easter eggs can go on sale about November ! ! !

Graham.

Newcastle
Destination Expert
for Malta, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
3,167 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Run up to christmas

Aargh Graham that would be a step too far!! After the January sales is far too early already!!!

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,302 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Run up to christmas

It seems that straight after New Year we start the sales, then it's Valentine's Day, then Mothers Day, then Easter, then more low key Fathers Day and the big preparations for Summer with beach and barbacue stuff.

The next stage is 'back to school' and then lo and behold we start seeing Christmas decorations and adverts for Christmas lunch and staff parties.

In other words, there is always some special event in the shops.

It's funny to be even thinking of Christmas when we are still wearing summer clothes during the day with a light jacket in the evening.

Penzance, United...
Level Contributor
629 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Run up to christmas

We usually holiday in Malta in November and have seen the Valletta lights on at the end of our stay (we normally leave around the 22th - 25th) Last year (25th was our last day) we didn't get to see Valletta's lights on, whether they were later to save of power costs, I am not sure. Some of the lighting displays on roundabouts are lit up earlier, and of course some of the shops look great. Certainly the crib in Lija does not go out that early, I am hoping it will be there when we go this year as we are going in December.

Our village lights started going up in October last year, I refused to have three Christmas trees on the front of my house in October, so hubby puts ours up at the beginning of December. They started putting them up yesterday for this year, so at least November is more acceptable, but still too early for me! I know it is a big job putting up lots of displays, but as everyone says Christmas starts far too early. Regards Trisha

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
8,306 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Run up to christmas

When we were there last year on 4 dec they were up and lighting check with Malta town hall and they will tell you.

Winchester, UK
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Run up to christmas

Greetings from Sliema - we are here for two weeks.

I can confrim that the Valetta Christmas street lights ARE in place, have been ceremonially switched on - and the construction team are working hard on getting the new fountains to work -in colour - in the renovated St George's square.

Enjoy your stay

Rosaleen

Get answers to your questions about Valletta