We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get from Valletta to Gozo

New South Wales...
Level Contributor
671 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
How to get from Valletta to Gozo

Just wondering if I stayed in Valletta how long would a bus or taxi take to get to where the ferry goes to get to Gozo. Also once on Gozo could I hire a car to drive for the day

Newcastle
Destination Expert
for Malta, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
3,214 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get from Valletta to Gozo

Not sure how long the new buses are taking to get from Valletta to Cirkewwa - maybe somebody else can help there. Taxi should take about half an hour at a guess. You should be able to hire a car in Gozo for the day

Sussex
Level Contributor
295 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get from Valletta to Gozo

The bus can take quite a while, the Arriva time says 1 hour 15 mins but in reality it was taking in excess of two hours in July.

Maybe look at hiring a car in Malta and doing the whole journey that way. You'd have to check it was OK with the Hire Company to take the car over to Gozo though.

Edited: 13 August 2011, 17:02
Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
884 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: How to get from Valletta to Gozo

I read recently in the Times of Malta that there are plans to have a ferry from Valletta to Gozo, but don't know when this is for. Possibly for foot passengers only?

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,686 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to get from Valletta to Gozo

If you are going to hire a car , anyway , do it in Malta and get the ferry to Gozo . If you are more than 2 , it may work out cheaper than taking the bus from Valletta .

Bus would take about an hour nad a bit more depending on traffic , while a taxi will take 40 minutes !

Welcome to Malta

New South Wales...
Level Contributor
671 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to get from Valletta to Gozo

I thank you all for your replies. There will be 4 of us and anytime there is 4 I think much quicker and possibly cheaper to go by taxi or share a hire car. If we do stay at the Grand Hotel Excelsior I think it says there is parking so that would be handy to drive around the whole island of Malta and take car to Gozo. Thank you.

London
Level Contributor
1,363 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to get from Valletta to Gozo

Hi Sean

The weekly Gozo Channel Line, Valletta (Sa Maison) to Gozo ferry takes about an hour & a half, so I would have thought a more regular daily service for foot passengers would have to use a faster boat, something like a Seacat and be able to do the journey in about 40 mins.

It would be great to have such a service and I think about €10 for the round trip would be a fare price (pun intended!),

Ntd

Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to get from Valletta to Gozo

Hi

We stayed in Valetta in July and went to Gozo for the day.

The bus was €2.60 each return and took 1 hr 45 mins due to lack of buses and busy roads. If you get on at Valetta you have a good chance of a seat!

We waited around 20 mins for the Ferry and it took 30 mins to Gozo.

Instead of hiring a car we went on a €10 mini bus tour with MTS which lasted around 4 hours getting us back for the 6pm ferry.

Company is on LHS on leaving the terminal. Total value for money.

Gozo roads are very thin and winding. Plus the bus routes took us through

Buggiba, St Julians, St Pauls, Sliema, and lots more that I cant remember.

New South Wales...
Level Contributor
671 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to get from Valletta to Gozo

So the ferry actually left from Valletta? I was looking a previous message and I went to the Gozo Channel line and I thought only cargo ships left from Valletta to Gozo? As I am anxious traveller and like to know where toilets are, can you say in the 4 hour tour of Gozo you were able to find toilets besides having to sit in a cafe? I am so looking forward to visiting Malta in May next year

London
Level Contributor
1,363 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How to get from Valletta to Gozo

Yep, the cargo ferry takes foot passengers & same price as car ferry. You have to get the car ferry back though & pay on return journey. It only runs a couple of times a week and you need to call the ferry operator to find out what day and approx time it will run. There's nothing on board, but you can use the toilets. Great mini cruise around the eastern coastline.

Ntd

New South Wales...
Level Contributor
671 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How to get from Valletta to Gozo

I like the photo of the Maltese bus - that's what it is isn't it? Thanks for you helpful information.