We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First visit to Malta.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
27 reviews
Save Topic
First visit to Malta.

We are hoping to go to Malta at the end of May. We are mostly going for the history and culture, but would like a bit of relaxation too. Not interested in nightlife - we enjoy a quiet meal and a walk in the evenings. Where would be a good place for us (a couple in our late 40's/early 50's) to stay?

The Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Saint Julian's
Level Contributor
2,872 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First visit to Malta.

I always recommend St Julian's because it has the best selection of restaurants. The Hotel Juliani is lovely overlooking pretty Spinola Bay and numerous excellent restaurants in the local vicinity. Only a short bus ride to Valletta and they are very regular. also possible to get direct buses to Mosta for the famous dome and Mdina the Silent City which is well worth a visit.

The Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Saint Julian's
Level Contributor
2,872 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First visit to Malta.

Forgot to mention the promenade between St Julian's and Sliema which is perfect for an evening stroll.

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
9,202 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First visit to Malta.

If I were you I would think of staying in Sliema..

It is in a good position to visit Valletta and other parts of the island.

There is a good selection of hotels and lots of bars , restaurants and shops etc.

Enjoy your stay.

Graham

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
9,202 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First visit to Malta.

Sliema and St Julians are right next to one another and are almost like one town so both are suitable..

Graham

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
884 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: First visit to Malta.

I agree with the posts - St. Julian's tends to be a bit more touristy, Sliema, and especially The Strand area, less so, and always pleasant to stroll days or evenings along with the locals. Lots of bars and cafes tha are civilised and not too rowdy and very easy access by bus to Valletta and other areas.

If you want history and culture, then Malta is the place for you!

Estepona, Spain
Level Contributor
42 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First visit to Malta.

Sliema or St Julians are both good options - within close reach of everything you will need to get to. I compiled a list based on various different expert recommendations of the best things to do in Malta, and here it i: howtomalta.com/2012/01/top-10-things-to-do-i…

Hopefully this will give you some pointers at least. It's a nice place to visit and I'm sure you'll have a great time.

london
Level Contributor
8 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First visit to Malta.

If you wish to experience the less mass tourist side of Malta ,please consider staying in Valletta ,and really get to know it.It is quiet at night but there are some good restaurants tucked away but just wandering the streets there is history at every turn.The Three cities on the other side of the Harbour have much to visit. We like the Inquisitors Palace.We did a 2 centre holiday and then went to Gozo ,to have a more relaxed ,experience.There is plenty of history and street wandering to be done in Victoria .Enjoy.

8. Re: First visit to Malta.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 May 2013, 10:27