We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Valletta on 10thOct - 9am to 6pm :: Grotto or Golden bay ?

Which Valletta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Delhi, India
1 post
Save Topic
Valletta on 10thOct - 9am to 6pm :: Grotto or Golden bay ?

My cruise will dock at VALLETTA PORT .... on 10th October'12 from 9am to 6pm ,,,, I want to do either BLUE GROTTO +Hagar Qim OR Golden Bay + Ghan Tuffeha ... PLEASE GIVE YOUR SUGGESTIONS !!!!

Questions::

1. how to move from VALLETTA port to main bus terminus any bus or by foot ??

2. should i take bus one day pass -- how much will it cost per person ??

NOW quest. on BLUE GROTTO +Hagar Qim

Please tell how to reach blue grotto ::

1. I know X4, X5 or X7 + 201 combine will take me to blue grotto but how far will it be from the actual docking point of the boats ??

2. I know service of 201 is every 1hour ... so is there any other bus to Blue Grotto ??

3. HOW MUCH TIME TO TRAVEL = Valletta port to bus terminus + bus terminus to Blue grotto bus stand + walking to boat point + waiting (40mins) + boat ride (30min) + back ??

4. If time persists can I do other places as well ??

NOW questions on Golden Bay + Ghan Tuffeha

1. Please tell how to reach GOLDEN BAY / Ghan Tuffeha:: which is closest bus stand to GOLDEN Bay and which bus to take "no. - 44" ??

Just to tell you i am on honeymoon :: so suggest which is more romantic BLUE GROTTO or GOLDEN BAY ????

England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
4,456 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Valletta on 10thOct - 9am to 6pm :: Grotto or Golden bay ?

I don't think that using local buses to visit these places would be the best way to use your time in Malta as it will take too long and not be at all romantic. My suggestion would be to use the Hop-on Hop-off bus services instead, so that you can see more than one place.

You also need to decide exactly what you want to do at these places - Golden Bay is a sandy beach + hotel and very little else. Fine for sun bathing but not much more. In comparison, Golden Bay is more interesting, but not as much of a must-see as Valletta and Mdina.

However if you are really set on this idea, the bus information you need is:

- Bus from Cruise Port to Valletta = Bus 130 or shuttle bus

- Bus from Valletta direct to Blue Grotto = Bus 71 once per hour

- Bus from Valletta direct to Golden Bay = Bus 44 twice per hour

You need to catch buses 71 and 44 from the Bus Staion in Valletta.

Phil-the-Bus

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
3,536 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Valletta on 10thOct - 9am to 6pm :: Grotto or Golden bay ?

Be aware if seas are rough, the Blue Grotto boats may not go out. You could have a wasted and very long bus journey.

Try looking into Mdina or Valletta itself or the Three Cities (with Grand Harbour boat trip). These offer beautiful scenery.

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,661 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Valletta on 10thOct - 9am to 6pm :: Grotto or Golden bay ?

With a NW wind blowing, both Blue Grotto and Golden Bay are not worth visiting. October is not a good time for boat trips .

Do no waste such a short time.

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,661 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Valletta on 10thOct - 9am to 6pm :: Grotto or Golden bay ?

For Romantic

Do Mdina walk thru the narrow streets, watch the panoramic view and go for coffee and chocolate cake at Fontanella Cafe on the Bastions. Visit Con Cathedral.

Later , go to Valletta Barrakka for a photo with the grand Harbour in the backround. Visit Cathedral and Museum or Armoury.

No time to do more !!

PS take a taxi . 23Euro each way???

Edited: 01 October 2012, 23:24
Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
884 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Valletta on 10thOct - 9am to 6pm :: Grotto or Golden bay ?

Take her to a beach for a romantic honeymoon gesture? don't think so! Weather changeable, too cold to swim, sand in her toes?

I agree with 643, Mdina is romantic - you could always splash out for a romatic lunch at the Sara Palace Hotel, and back to Valletta to have your picture taken (someone will always oblige) against the backdrop of Grand Harbour - and perhaps with your cruise ship in the frame as well. You can get a bus from near the cruise terminal to Mdina and back to Valletta, allow an hour each way. Walk back (downhill) to your ship.

Manchester
Level Contributor
682 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Valletta on 10thOct - 9am to 6pm :: Grotto or Golden bay ?

Visit by cruise ship - don't miss the arrival into grand harbour - one of the best (if not the best) port arrivals anywhere.

Don't like your options - much better to visit Mdina and Valletta - early morning walk from the port up to Valletta bus station (allow 20-30 minutes) - take the bus to Mdina (allow 50 minutes) - sight seeing, lunch, then bus back to Valletta for afternoon sight seeing before walk down to port for ship embarkation.

Newcastle
Destination Expert
for Malta, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
3,156 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Valletta on 10thOct - 9am to 6pm :: Grotto or Golden bay ?

I agree with the above posters, go to Valletta and Mdina if you are only in Malta for a day. Might not be good enough weather for beach or boat trip and so much more to see and do in Mdina and Valletta

8. Re: Valletta on 10thOct - 9am to 6pm :: Grotto or Golden bay ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2013, 10:15
Get answers to your questions about Valletta