We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malta for mom and adult daughter

Which Valletta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Jose, California
Level Contributor
66 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Malta for mom and adult daughter

My adult daughter and I are thinking of traveling to Malta for about 10 days in April. It looks like a fascinating and beautiful destination. We would most likely rent an apartment, probably in 2 different areas. How would you suggest we break up the time and which areas would be most convenient? We are planning to use public transportation if we can see most everything we want by bus. Is the island safe for 2 women traveling together? We are particularly interested in the cultural sites as well as taking walks and enjoying the water.

Thank you for your advice!

sydney australia
Level Contributor
2,194 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malta for mom and adult daughter

My suggestion would be to spend the majority of your time in Malta then 2 or 3 nights in Gozo. Both islands are safe for women. Re an apartment the good ones usually go quickly & please keep in mind that Easter this year is early & many make it at least a week holiday. Re area: I personally like Sliema because of the shops, restaurants & ease of getting to Valletta by bus and/or ferry & other places. Its both a tourist place but also lots of locals live there too. Easy walking distance to lots of restaurants. Some will say St Julians...well it has lots of restaurants but hardly any shops but saying that its not far from Sliema. I have rented apartments in both areas & still preferred Sliema. If you want info on these apartments just privately msg me for details. Try & read as much as possible about Malta before you arrive & if possible even buy a travel book or visit your library... our library here has the one from Lonely Planet....but there are lots out there. Im sure you will love Malta and April should be lovely ..not too hot especially for all the walks.

sydney australia
Level Contributor
2,194 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malta for mom and adult daughter

sorry forgot to mention to read the FAQ on the top right hand side.

Ringwood, United...
Level Contributor
96 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malta for mom and adult daughter

Malta is a fantastic place, relaxing, good weather and the locals are very freindly, if I was you I would stay in Sliema, Shops, Cafes, ferry trip, everthing is there and plenty of buses too, 12 euro for weekly ticket The Islands history and culture is wonderful and like someone else said maybe a couple of days in Gozo, buses go to the ferry terminal and the ferry fare is 5 euro. I have only one warning to you or indeed anyone traveling to Malta, beware on buses and crowded bus stops thier are pick pockets, as I know to my own misfortune. but it would never put me off from going again, in fact I am going in 8 weeks time for my fourth holiday in two years. there is a good website called VistMalta.com which has a lot of information and links. Have a great time.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
2 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Malta for mom and adult daughter

My mother and I stayed for a week in Malta last June/July. It was a WONDERFUL trip! We stayed in Sliema very close to the ferry. It was a great location for us as we were right next to the boat tours and could take the ferry to Valletta at just about anytime. Really enjoyed the food at L'Artist and Ta Kris. I highly suggest seeking out these local places as opposed to the more touristy restaurants on the waterfront. We also did the hop on/hop off bus (both the red and blue buses) and were able to see all of the archaeological and historical spots on our list. We could have hit some good shopping, too, but we were really not there for that. You'll find that Malta is very easy to get around. As far as safety, we never felt unsafe or threatened while we were there, and we were out late at night sometimes on the Sliema boardwalk. Everyone was exceptionally friendly to us. Use the same precautions regarding scams and pickpockets that you would use in mainland Europe, and you'll be fine. Oh, and you must go out the Blue Lagoon for a day. Go during the week if you can; it is crazy busy on the weekends. Also, go with a smaller company like Luzzu to get you there and book the trip on the docks. Don't pay extra for food. There is food at the Blue Lagoon that is just fine and much cheaper. Enjoy your trip and feel free to message me or reply if you have any specific questions! :-)

Melb
Level Contributor
110 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Malta for mom and adult daughter

I hope to be doing a day on the Blue Lagoon .I will try to get some info on Luzzu.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
2 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Malta for mom and adult daughter

It's really best (and cheapest) to book on the boardwalk in Sliema. There are lots of ticket booths. That being said, you'll get the best deals from the venders by the storefronts across the street. Have fun!

Melb
Level Contributor
110 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Malta for mom and adult daughter

Thanks for the info.

8. Re: Malta for mom and adult daughter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 January 2013, 10:57
Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
884 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Malta for mom and adult daughter

maxonholiday - have you got shares in the Seabank? The poster was asking for apartments, likes walking and culture. Other suggestions made about Sliema etc are much better than yours.

For you jmll6543 - Sea swimming unless you are hardy doesnt really start until May. Sliema as others have suggested is better for general access to other places, as well as evening strolls, bars (like people watching?), used by the locals. Why not consider going in Holy Week, the week before Easter and sample some of the displays and pageantry of that time. For walks spring is best, and there are some very fertile areas. www.visitmalta.com has some downloadable walks to try.

10. Re: Malta for mom and adult daughter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2013, 10:44
Get answers to your questions about Valletta