We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many days on Malta?

Which Valletta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mendham Township...
Level Contributor
50 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
How many days on Malta?

Starting new thread as most on TA are older...

We'll be on Malta early May - first timers, coming off ten days on a Sicily tour. Planning on spending 4 nights in Valletta, at Phoenicia. Is that enough time to get good flavor of the island? Is the Hypogeum a must see? We plan to do the hoho bus, harbour cruise; love history, architecture, good food and wine; some relaxing by the pool.

Any restaurant "must do's", things to avoid, recommendations appreciated!

sydney australia
Level Contributor
2,171 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How many days on Malta?

most people that say love history, architecture etc say they wished they stayed longer. Can you stay at least 10 days..I don't think 4 is enough taking into account time of flight arrival, transport to hotel, getting orientated etc. Museums, historical sights etc close around 4.30pm even in summertime let alone May. Phonecia is well located, easy walk into Valletta. Read FAQ on righthand side..so much to see in Valletta alone. Mdina, if you want to explore it well requires at least 1/2 a day or more. Hypogyeum needs to be booked early..like look asap for vacancies..they only take 8-10 ppl per tour and only a set number of tours a day. www.heritagemalta.com. Gozo is also a must see. I could go on.....so there is a lot to see for such a small island....4 days not enough imo but better than nothing if you cant allocate more time there.

hampshire_UK
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How many days on Malta?

I agree with Stella099 that 4 days is not enough to get a true flavour of these islands that are absolutely packed with history and culture. Personally, I would recommend skipping the Hypogeum and concentrate on Valletta and the three cities for a day and a half (short visits to key sites), a half day in Mdina and Rabat, then a hoho and harbour cruise the third. You will probably need the rest of your time for the boring bits (arrival, transfer unpacking etc.).

Hope you can squeeze in a few more days - enjoy Malta.

Mendham Township...
Level Contributor
50 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How many days on Malta?

Thank you all for great advice. Of course I've booked our flights so we're firm on the four full days. Flying over from Catania on the early morning plane. Best way to get to hotel? I understand it's not far?

hampshire_UK
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How many days on Malta?

Buses X4,X5 and X7 all leave from the front of the terminal - cross the first road and stops are to the right from arrivals. One of these every 15minutes - fare €1.50 and that ticket will do you all day for unlimited travel. Make sure you get one going in the direction of Valletta These buses stop at Valletta terminus very close to you hotel (about 2 mins walk). Taxis always available for around €20.

sydney australia
Level Contributor
2,171 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How many days on Malta?

re taxis see www.maltairport.com this lists the current prices for the fixed price taxi service from the airport. And there should be an explanation as to where & what to do re taxis. Floriana/Valletta 15.00 Euro up to 4 passengers & luggage. Tipping Optional. TIP: if you like the driver, his car etc ask for his card...never know when you might need to ring him/her.

Mendham Township...
Level Contributor
50 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How many days on Malta?

Thank you all for great advice. Of course I've booked our flights so we're firm on the four full days. Flying over from Catania on the early morning plane. Best way to get to hotel? I understand it's not far?

Thank you so much!

South Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
2,317 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How many days on Malta?

Linda, I was just about to reply to your post no 6 and realised you'd written the same words as in your post no 3 which has been answered by posts 4 and 5. Trust you have an enjoyable holiday.

8. Re: How many days on Malta?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 February 2015, 05:20
Get answers to your questions about Valletta