We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lascaris or World War II Museum or Grandmaster's Palace

Which Valletta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
ama
California
Level Contributor
264 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Lascaris or World War II Museum or Grandmaster's Palace

Does anyone have a preference of one versus the others? Between the Lascaris War Rooms or the World War II Museum, which is "better"? We will be in Valletta in late June for a one day cruise stop. My parents are traveling with us as well as my children (age 4 and 7). We will be visiting the Upper Barrakka Gardens, St. John's Cathedral, and want to have time to wander and shop Merchant and Republic streets. We are debating on adding one more place to visit - and I can't seem to decide. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
8,175 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lascaris or World War II Museum or Grandmaster's Palace

This is a very difficult one !

All three of the places you mention are worth seeing.

Would you be able to find time for two ?

My choice ,and this is just my personal feeling , would be the Lascaris war room.

It is less of a museum than the actual place where the defence of Malta was planned and some of the planning of the invasion of Sicily was organised.

And of course many of your young countrymen were involved in that.

If you have time a quick look at the Grandmasters palace would be good. You have military museums in US but most unlikely to see armour displays like this.

Enjoy your cruise and visit to Malta.

Graham

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,010 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lascaris or World War II Museum or Grandmaster's Palace

Will all these places be open in November? As a matter of interest when did they open, the War items in particular, as I don't remember them from my trip in the 60s. I might have not been interested at that time so didn't notice!

hampshire_UK
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lascaris or World War II Museum or Grandmaster's Palace

The National War Museum opened in 1975 and the Lascaris war rooms were still in use by NATO until 1977, so would not have been there at the time of your last visit. Both should be open in November, but there is a slight possibility that the National War Museum may not as it is due to move from Lower Fort St. Elmo to the newly restored Upper Fort for opening in September - however not all goes to plan in Malta and dates can be 'flexible'. There is also the Malta at War museum in Birgu which should be open, they have ongoing restoration work but have remained open throughout.

NE Victoria...
Level Contributor
2,672 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lascaris or World War II Museum or Grandmaster's Palace

Lascaris War Rooms are fascinating and might be a good option in terms of not taking up vast quantities of time - you're given a reasonably brief but very effective tour of the rooms and there's a short film to watch. You walk through a longish tunnel to get there and there's a palpable sense of being where "history was made". It's also very close to Upper Barrakka Gardens, so the logistics check out - and it's nice and cool down there on a hot day.

The National War Museum took us quite a bit longer to visit because there's so much to see there - it's great, but might not fit your day trip limitations. Ditto the Malta at War Museum, which is also well worth visiting but on the opposite side of the harbour from Valletta and time consuming to get to and see properly on a flying visit.

(Can't comment on the Grandmaster's Palace because we didn't get there - but it's on our list for our trip this year!)

sydney australia
Level Contributor
2,172 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lascaris or World War II Museum or Grandmaster's Palace

What day is your stop in malta. If Sunday st johns will not be open for tours but mass will be on. Imo 4 and 7 yr old may prefer Grandmasters palace but I do like Lascaris war rooms too.

ama
California
Level Contributor
264 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lascaris or World War II Museum or Grandmaster's Palace

Thank you everyone! I'm leaning towards the Lascaris War Rooms and/or Grandmaster's Palace now. Hopefully we can squeeze in both if we have enough time.

NZ
Level Contributor
1,100 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lascaris or World War II Museum or Grandmaster's Palace

Perhaps a local can advise however during my late Jan 14 visit the Lascaris rooms were closed for major renovations. There was no time scale on the notice.

boston
Destination Expert
for Christiansted
Level Contributor
2,526 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lascaris or World War II Museum or Grandmaster's Palace

Can anyone give me a sense of how long we might spend in the Lascaris War Rooms? I am trying to map out our afternoon in Valetta off a cruise ship (arriving at 1 p.m.) and am trying to figure out if we can do both the War Rooms and the Co-Cathedral before they offer their last tours at 4 p.m. Am probably more interested in War Rooms given my family's interest (I'm the one who wants to see the Caravaggios!!).

hampshire_UK
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lascaris or World War II Museum or Grandmaster's Palace

I find an hour enough for Lascaris and about the same for St John's. However, I recommend you visit them in order of your level of interest as both venues get very busy when a cruise ship is in port, especially St Johns and you may have to line up for entry. If you have not already worked it out, the quickest way into Valletta from the cruise terminal is to use the Upper Barrakka lift, rather wait for buses or taxis (€1 per person so you will need some change)

boston
Destination Expert
for Christiansted
Level Contributor
2,526 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lascaris or World War II Museum or Grandmaster's Palace

Thanks, TM. Will probably go straight to cathedral then to try to get ahead of the crowds as I imagine the cruise excursions stop there as well but will take longer to get there.

Get answers to your questions about Valletta