We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luxembourg Advice

Which Luxembourg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Moab, UT
10 posts
Save Topic
Luxembourg Advice

I am traveling to Luxembourg early July for 4 days to find ancestoral graves near/around Holzem & Koerich. First, we are looking for WEILAND (family name) relatives. Second, is there a "guide" we could hire to navigate around Luxembourg and look for ancestoral graces and/or living relatives. Third, can you refer some country villa or hotel for 5 (including a 2 & 5 year old)? Finally, advice on renting a car to travel around luxembourg--is it easy to navigate? What do you recc we see in 4 days? THANK YOU!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
105 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luxembourg Advice

Luxembourg is easy to navigate and roads of a good standard even in the countryside. Places I'd recommend to see are:

Luxembourg City

The Grund

Little Switzerland

Vianden

Day trip to Metz

Hope that helps a bit.

Luxembourg City...
Destination Expert
for Luxembourg City
Level Contributor
1,614 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Luxembourg Advice

Weiland sounds like a Dutch family name (it means 'meadow' in Dutch). You might find that they have immigrated from the Netherlands at some point.

This is the Luxembourg phone book: www.editus.lu .

There seem to be quite some Weiland's still in Luxembourg, of which one in Holzem: http://www.editus.lu/ed/fr/recherche.html?q=weiland%2C+holzem

Maybe superfluous to say, but I would try to do as much research on the internet before leaving as you can. Perhaps you can also try to get in touch with the churches of Holzem and Koerich, to ask if you can access their baptism records.

Edited: 07 April 2014, 01:24
USA
Level Contributor
1,051 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Luxembourg Advice

Driving is a piece of cake. Very good roads, well marked. We very much enjoyed staying in Vianden with its imposing castle and nice town split by the River Our.

Moab, UT
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Luxembourg Advice

Thank you so much. How can I get in touch with the churches of Holzem and Koerich, to ask if you can access their baptism records? Do you have a telephone number for them or email? Thank you! Sandra Weiland

Luxembourg City...
Destination Expert
for Luxembourg City
Level Contributor
1,614 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Luxembourg Advice

It seems that the church of Koerich is part of the Steinfort parish. Their contact details:

4 route de Luxembourg, L-8440 Steinfort

tél. 39 00 58 (Père Théo KLEIN S.C.J.), fax 39 00 58, +32 63 24 01 95 (Couvent Clairefontaine)

Holzem is in the Mamerdall parish:

Mme Suzanne Welter

Mo, Tu, Th, Fr 8.30-11.30

4, rue de l’école L-8391 Nospelt

Tel: 26 10 21 78 & Fax: 26 10 22 78

pv.mamerdall@cathol.lu

I just noticed that there is also a lot of genealogical information online. See;

roots.lu/hames/Holzem/HolzemParoisseNaissanc…

http://www.roots.lu/hames/Holzem/Holzem.html

http://www.roots.lu/

Or though Google on roots,lu:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?client=ubuntu&channel=fs&q=weiland+or+weyland+site:roots.lu&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gl=uk&gws_rd=cr&ei=5mWLU__eAeXC7AaLoIGICw#channel=fs&gl=uk&q=weiland++site:roots.lu&safe=off

Moab, UT
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Luxembourg Advice

THANK YOU! Those links were VERY helpful, especially regarding the Sinner family lineage. I really appreciate it and will get in touch with the churches this week. We are so looking forward to our upcoming trip to Luxembourg. I will be traveling there with my parents, a nephew and my two young boys. Thanks again. Warmly, Sandra Weiland

Luxembourg
Level Contributor
5,399 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Luxembourg Advice

Old Church records are no longer kept at the Parish but have been transferred to the National Archives.

query.an.etat.lu/Query/detail.aspx?id=1

The LDS Church had missionaries here in the past who did some extensive and serious genealogy research and are a good start to find your ancestors

https://familysearch.org/

Some interesting reading heree:

www.loc.gov/rr/european/imlu/luxem.html

Weiland is of course very much a familiar name over here.

Edited: 01 June 2014, 23:25
Moab, UT
10 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Luxembourg Advice

I have tried to call a few folks but none have spoken English. I would greatly appreciate if someone in Luxembourg would contact the following folks to see whether they are distant relatives. The list is pulled from phone book and based on common familial names and locations.

My Weiland family name hailed from Holzem with ties in Koerich. My great grandfather was Henry Weiland born in Holzem 8/15/1874 (married Mary Funk, who was born 11/27/1876 in Koerich; Mary was born to Nicholaus Funk & Elizabeth Steitz). Henry immigrated to US in 1916. Henry & Mary had 6 children: Josephine, Louise, Peter, Mary, Andrew (my Grandfather), and Camille. Henry was born to Michel Weiland & Josephine Sinner--Josephine Sinner was born 6/12/1836 in Holzem. Josephine married Michel 24 Aug 1865. Michel & Josephine had 5 children: Nicolas, Jean Nicolas, Suzanne, Marie, Henry/Henri.

WEILAND Claude

11A Route de Capellen L-8279 Holzem (Holzem)

Tel.: 26 37 53 84

WEILAND Michael

43 Rue Clairefontaine L-9220 Diekirch (Dikrech)

Tel.: 80 37 40

TERSILLO-WEILAND Michel

75 Rue de Differdange L-4437 Soleuvre (Zolwer)

Tel.: 59 17 34

SINNER-DUHR Jean-Pierre , Ingénieur civil

5 Am Tremel L-8706 Useldange (Useldeng)

Tel.: 23 63 80 20

SINNER Jean-Pierre , Commissaire de district

Tel.: 51 70 70

SINNER Michel

Tel.: 23 63 80 05

BEHM-SINNER Jean-Marie , Dr. médecin généraliste

Tel.: 32 95 06

MERSCH-SINNER Pierre , Ingénieur

Tel.: 83 53 14

SINNER-HACK Nicolas

46 Rue Belle-Vue L-7214 Bereldange (Bäreldeng)

Tel.: 33 07 18

FUNCK-FRIEDERES Norbert

1 Neiewee L-8279 Holzem (Holzem)

Tel.: 38 00 65

GAASCH-FUNK Camille , Délégué technique

65 Promenade de la Sûre L-9283 Diekirch (Dikrech)

Tel.: 80 81 17

FUNK Mathias

6 Rue de Donven L-6840 Machtum (Meechtem)

Tel.: 75 82 54

9. Re: Luxembourg Advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2015, 05:15