We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train from FRA to Kirchberg?

California
Level Contributor
324 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
train from FRA to Kirchberg?

I don't know why I'm having so much trouble figuring this out, but the DB site confuses me. What is the best way to take a fast train from the Frankfurt Airport (coming from U.S.) to Luxembourg, going to the Kirchberg Conference Center? The DB site does not say which train is the one at the airport. It's for a business traveler, so I'm looking for the fastest and most convenient method of travel, not necessarily the cheapest. I know Luxair flies, but flight times don't work. Thank you!

Luxembourg
Level Contributor
5,548 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: train from FRA to Kirchberg?

There is no direct link between FRA and Luxembourg and you need to either change at Koblenz or Saarbruecken. Go back to the DB site and enter exactly as follows:

To: Luxembourg Gare

Depending which time you travel the train depart from either the Fernbahnhof (long distance station) or Regional Bahnhof. They are both located at the airport and there is a DB office/counter where you can purchase your ticket and get information.

frankfurt-airport.com/cms/default/dokbin/357…

The trip from Saarbruecken to Luxembourg is by connecting coach operated by the Luxembourg rail system CFL.

Once in Luxembourg you either take a taxi or a bus from outside the station, it's about 4 kilometers to the Kirchberg.

California
Level Contributor
324 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: train from FRA to Kirchberg?

hiker, thank you so much for that clear information. I need to make this as easy as possible for my husband (business traveler) and do it all it advance, if possible. He's usually pretty distracted while traveling. Do you think I could get him a ride with a car sevice from FRA to Lux, or from Saarbruecken to Lux? Cost-wise, it may not be worse that flying business class from FRA-LUX, which he would normally do, but the flights don't work on Luxair and Luft doesn't do the route anymore.

And BTW, thanks for all the help you gave me last year when we went to Lux. I was trying to rent a car to drive into France, and instead took your advice to taxi to Thionville and rent to avoid the cross-border charge. We drove through Alsace and Beaujolais, returned the car to Dijon, took the train to Venice, and had a great vacation!

Alas, I am not going with hubby on this trip, so trying to make things smooth for him on his own.

3. Re: train from FRA to Kirchberg?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 February 2010, 05:18