We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luxembourg the country ?

Lincoln, Nebraska
Level Contributor
236 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Luxembourg the country ?

I believe I have a pretty go idea of what to see in the city and the nearby US Cemetary, but how about other nearby towns. Will be traveling by car to Trier Germany and no great hurry. I did pull up Grevenmacher that looks like it might be charming. Any other ideas. After Trier I am looking at the wine country by making a loop back toward Brussels. The town of Cochen and the Eltx Castle are two that I have noticed. All input appreciated.Thanks

Luxembourg
Level Contributor
5,534 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luxembourg the country ?

If you are interested in WW2 sites you can also visit Diekirch and Wiltz in the North. There isn't any thing particular to see in Grevenmacher and you might go further North-East to Vianden and Echternach.

For advise on the German Mosel Valley suggest you post on the Cochem or Trier forum.

We also have vineyards here in Luxembourg on our Vallée de la Moselle from Schengen to Wasserbillig.

Bridel, Luxembourg
Level Contributor
73 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Luxembourg the country ?

Not a lot to see in Grewenmacher. If you'll be coming in summer, I would prefer remich instead, loads of lovely terrasses, wine tasting and so on.

Trier: mostly Portanigra, Cathedral and city centre

Cochem: old castle, Burg Metternich

Traben-Trarbach is nice too

London UK
Level Contributor
2,562 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Luxembourg the country ?

I second Pierchen's suggestion of Remich. For such a small town it has an amazing selection of supermarkets selling food, drink and fuel mostly to customers across the Moselle in Germany. If you will be there in summer time all the hotels and restaurants set up their tables on the terraces overlooking the Moselle and the food and ambience is tremendous. I was there once on a Saturday in August and there was a very good street market along the pathway bordering the Moselle, but I am not too sure whether that was peculiar to the Feast Day of Santa Maria or is a regular occurrence. If you overnight there it is quite good fun to walk across the bridge and then walk back with the experience of having visited Germany before breakfast.

The US War Cemetery is by the road between Luxembourg City and Remich. Movingly General Patton's grave is there but is set apart from the others, most of whom were killed in the Battle of the Bulge, as he died in a vehicle accident after the war in December 1945

Auburn, AL
Level Contributor
256 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Luxembourg the country ?

In addition to Trier, choose from among the following historic and scenic places in or near Luxembourg: Vianden and its famous castle; Bastogne, centerpiece of the Battle of the Buldge; the WWI battlefield and cemetery at Verdun, France; near Verdun, Reims Cathedral; just north of Luxembourg, Aachen, Germany and the nearby medieval town of Monschau. You could easily route your trip through two or three of these.

Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Luxembourg the country ?

Metz, which is about 45mins by train from Luxembourg in France is well worth a visit. The towns in between are pretty dull but Metz is a little gem. The cathedral has windows by Chagal

6. Re: Luxembourg the country ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 April 2012, 05:16