We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus to & from U.S. War Cemetery into town?

Lincoln, Nebraska
Level Contributor
238 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Bus to & from U.S. War Cemetery into town?

Is there there bus shuttle or a hop on. hop off bus service that runs between the various sites in Luxembourg and the war Cemetery. If public parking is avaiable at the cemetary would not it work to leave one's car there to bus into town and return to avoid looking for parking in the city and see both which I want to do? I was there a couple of years ago and parking was scarce. Thanks for any information.

Luxembourg
Level Contributor
5,557 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus to & from U.S. War Cemetery into town?

The parking lot at the cemetery is vast but It's not a good idea to leave your car there, the location is quite isolated and the bus system to the area most inconvenient. Things have changed downtown and there are more parking houses now available, they are clearly marked as you enter the city.

The cemetery is not on the ho-ho bus itinerary.

Lincoln, Nebraska
Level Contributor
238 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus to & from U.S. War Cemetery into town?

Thanks for the reply. I did email the cemetery and they were very helpful. As mentioned bus is not the way to go. The closet stop is about 3/4 mile away, city bus number 15 at stop named "Kaschtewee". You need to hoof it from there. One thing that I found of interest is that there is also a German cemetery in the same area.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
205 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus to & from U.S. War Cemetery into town?

There isn't any bus service to the cemetary so I definitely wouldn't park out there. Parking at the Glacis is pretty cheap I believe. 80 cents an hour or so during the week. Not sure about weekends or night.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus to & from U.S. War Cemetery into town?

Would you please identify "Glacis"? We'll be taking a day trip to Luxembourg City and hope to find some place to park in/near the center.

Many thanks.

Luxembourg
Level Contributor
917 posts
764 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus to & from U.S. War Cemetery into town?

Put:-

Glacis, Avenue de la Faïencerie, Luxembourg

into google maps. (use satellite)

If you then have a choice it should be A.

However in satellite mode it will be easy to see it is a very large flat space.

Luxembourg
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus to & from U.S. War Cemetery into town?

The Glacis is the site near the red bridge (Pont Grande-Duchesse Charlotte) where there is a vast open-air car park.

I don't know where the other correspondents get their ideas from, but I would be happy to park ANYWHERE in Luxembourg and not worry about my car. Car crime is minimal; though of course you should follow normal rules: don't leave your wallet/ laptop / diamond necklace laying on the back seat in full view.

Edited: 31 March 2011, 11:11
Luxembourg
Level Contributor
5,557 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bus to & from U.S. War Cemetery into town?

Parking at the Glacis is certainly a good option and the city centre is walkable from here or you can take the free shopping-bus that commutes between the car-park and near Grand-Rue. The bus stop is actually in the car park. Doesn't operate on Sundays or Monday mornings (obviously).

8. Re: Bus to & from U.S. War Cemetery into town?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 19:16