We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luxembourg Airport to Trier

L C
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
58 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Luxembourg Airport to Trier

I'm thinking of doing a roadtrip of Germany in March and it seems that flying into Luxembourg is $400 cheaper than flying into Frankfurt. However, I'll need to get to Trier in order to rent a car as the prices in Luxembourg are much higher and so are the age requirements. Since I'll be arriving on a Sunday morning, how can I get from the airport to the train to Trier Hauptbahnhof? As well, how much does a return ticket roughly cost?

Luxembourg City...
Destination Expert
for Luxembourg City
Level Contributor
1,611 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Luxembourg Airport to Trier

First take bus 16 to the train station in Luxembourg, then the train to Trier. Total travel time is about 1,5 hour. The cost is 2,00 euro for a national ticket valid 2 hours including the bus and the train up to Wasserbillig (last Luxembourgish station) and 7,20 euro for a ticket Wasserbillig-Trier. No need to leave the train in Wasserbillig, just show both tickets. Tickets bought in Germany are a couple of euros more expensive, so if you know both the dates already, best buy train tickets for both ways at the Luxembourgish station.

Have you looked at flying into Saarbrucken as well?

L C
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
58 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Luxembourg Airport to Trier

Thanks for the info! Saarbrücken and other cities in Germany are unusually expensive this year ($1200+ vs $900 to Luxembourg). How often do the trains run on Sundays? And as well, what language should I talk to Luxembourgers in? I can speak decent German and French, but my German is probably much better.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
975 posts
315 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Luxembourg Airport to Trier

Speak German, then.

As for the trains schedules, you could have a look at the CFL (Lux. railways) website: http://www.cfl.lu/

Edited: 23 October 2013, 10:15
4. Re: Luxembourg Airport to Trier

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2014, 06:20