We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snow in Luxembourg city in January

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
430 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Snow in Luxembourg city in January

Hi all!

Just a quick question..... Does Luxembourg city ever get snow in January... say mid January (13th around this date)? If so, is it very heavy snow? Just want to make sure trains are still working to and from Luxembourg city. Thanks Ing55

Luxembourg City...
Destination Expert
for Luxembourg City
Level Contributor
1,926 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Snow in Luxembourg city in January

Just make sure you're somewhat flexible, especially if it's snowing. Don't take the last possible train to catch your plane, and don't take the last possible train of the day if you need to change trains, for example.

It does snow sometimes in January, and minor problems (delayed trains, or a single cancelled train) occur sometimes. In the very worst case, you'll face a couple of hours of delay. I never heard of the trains not running at all due to snow.

Edited: 14 November 2013, 17:18
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
430 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snow in Luxembourg city in January

Great!! Thankyou so much for the info. Best Wishes Ing55

Luxembourg City...
Level Contributor
49 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snow in Luxembourg city in January

From my limited experience: it snows rarely, but there can be some major problems if it snows heavily (and heavily here in central Europe means something else than in the North, for example :D). My mother was stuck in Belgium at night on her way to Luxembourg because of snow - train just didn't go further, my former flatmate stayed here fore Christmas one year despite having airplane tickets... though to be fair it was the very same year and very same Christmas. Never happened again :)

The chance for rain is much higher in any case.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
430 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snow in Luxembourg city in January

Thankyou very much for your insight. It is very helpful. Best Wishes. Ing55

Paris, France
Level Contributor
980 posts
356 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snow in Luxembourg city in January

It's snowing in Luxembourg right now !

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
430 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snow in Luxembourg city in January

That's exciting. Is it heavy snow? any predictions on snow for the next few weeks?Ing55

Luxembourg City...
Level Contributor
49 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snow in Luxembourg city in January

It is wet snow, not heavy, doesn't stay long on the ground in the city, but the trees look very nice as it is sticky and stays on. Umbrella recommended, IMHO. No major traffic problems as far as I know, spent my morning in public transport going here and there.

The upcoming winter is forecast to be cold, it would mean snow as well. Time will show if the forecasts will come true :)

Luxembourg City...
Level Contributor
49 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snow in Luxembourg city in January

PS some pics (local news site)

wort.lu/en/view/winter-has-arrived-as-first-…

Paris, France
Level Contributor
980 posts
356 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Snow in Luxembourg city in January

2 photos taken minutes ago amost opposite the EU buildings...

hamelinpaul.free.fr/neige_kirchberg_1.jpg -- hamelinpaul.free.fr/neige_kirchberg_2.jpg

Now, I have to go back to Paris.

Edited: 21 November 2013, 09:58
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
430 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Snow in Luxembourg city in January

Thanks everyone for the pics and paper article. The pictures look wonderful!!! Can't wait to get there.

Cheers all. Ing55