We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money.?? Prices for snacks..

WISCONSIN..U.S.A
Level Contributor
498 posts
Save Topic
Money.?? Prices for snacks..

Hi..granddaughter will be on a Music/band tour with 260 kids and have NO idea what currancy the countries use..starts in London/Paris/Switzerland/Liechtenstein/Germany..would like an idea what a can of Coca-Cola is in each country compared to the USA dollar..have a thousand questions...Thank You for any help...

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,419 posts
474 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Money.?? Prices for snacks..

London: GBP (Sterling Pound) - USD 1 = GBP 0.62 (today, of course it changes every minute...)

France & Germany: EUR (Euro) - USD 1 = EUR 0.75

Switzerland and Liechtenstein: CHF (Swiss Francs) - USD 1 = CHF 0.92

For prices comparison, a coffee or a coke might be complicated as it all depend where it is ordered. But there is one thing that can be found everywhere: a Big Mac. And here is a link to Big Mac prices compared to the US, all around the world (Liechtenstein is not listed but it is the same as in Switzerland):

www.economist.com/content/big-mac-index

Hope this helps.

WISCONSIN..U.S.A
Level Contributor
498 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Money.?? Prices for snacks..

Thank You Swissdiver..this helps alot they have rooms/bus/2 meals a day/tours.. but with all teenagers they never stop eating..will have debit card or credit card for bigger meals/gifts..etc..Do you know where I can find a converter for these countries for a hairdryer and to recharge phone/Ipod..??? do they all have the same or every country is different...Thank You again for the information...EK..

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,419 posts
474 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Money.?? Prices for snacks..

Sorry, EK, for the late reply.

https:/…AC_power_plugs_and_sockets describes the various systems.

Liechtenstein has the same plugs than Switzerland, i.e. a unique type... :-/ UK's and EU's (France and Germany) are more standard. So she will have to buy either 3 adaptors or a multi-systems one. In the latter case, she should make sure it covers Switzerland's system (Type J in the Wikipedia article).

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
73 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Money.?? Prices for snacks..

Do most stores and dining establishments in Vaduz take credit cards? VISA or AMEX? I will be driving from Germany via Austria and I don't want to change Euros into CHF.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,419 posts
474 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Money.?? Prices for snacks..

Visa poses no problem (although shops try to limit the use of credit cards for amount below CHF 10). Amex can more challenging in Europe as they often charge 4-5% to the shops, that of course are reluctant to accept it.

As a more general comment, check with your bank the kind of charges it applies abroad (including on the exchange rate). As a frequent traveller, I realised that often the least expensive way was to carry local currencies for small payments.

6. Re: Money.?? Prices for snacks..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 January 2015, 05:17