We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Problems ahead for the summer season.

lake district...
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Problems ahead for the summer season.

Water shortages are at critical levels.Tourist resorts,hotels,villas, apartments will be restricted and are already seeing switch offs.Prices are up,and our exchange rate does not help.

Good news the sun is shining,and the beaches are empty.

Lancashire
Level Contributor
3,433 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Problems ahead for the summer season.

OMG you're back!!!!!!!!

Kath, Kath, he's back, he's back.......

Lancashire
Level Contributor
3,433 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Problems ahead for the summer season.

On the Cyprus Living forum there have been a lot of discussions about the water shortages. One of the ex-pats on there is completely exasperated by the fact that local shop, bar and restaurant owners continue to swill down their shop frontages in the morning. Someone has even seen the local police station doing the same!

I was in Cyprus earlier this year and was talking to some elderly people who remember a 7 year drought last century which caused terrible hardship. If the water situation doesn't improve and people don't start to think about their water usage there could be very hard times ahead.

I would imagine that soon there will be bans on topping up swimming pools as well as turning off the water which will hit the tourist trade very hard this summer.

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
2,772 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Problems ahead for the summer season.

Welcome back Leica - you have been missed!

UK
Level Contributor
396 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Problems ahead for the summer season.

Last week, the manager of my complex came to see us and told us that it would be unlikely that they will be able to top the pool up over the summer due to the ban of hosepipes and heavy fines imposed. When I left I got a copy of the Cyprus Mail at the airport and the headlines were that in every 24 hour period they were going to cut the water off for 20 hours! Hopefully it will rain heavy and fill up those dams, they are currently only 14% full as opposed to 33% full this time last year.

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
2,772 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Problems ahead for the summer season.

Not good news about water shortages - hope all tourists do their bit to help. This is said "tongue in cheek" but whenever and wherever I travel rain follows me - won't be sufficient to stem off a drought but I'll let you know what happens when I arrive on the 13th May!

The exchange rate is awful at the moment and I can't see it improving. When the Euro is adopted up go the prices. Politicians must think we have idiots scrawled on our foreheads! Don't think we are going to get much for our pound this year in Cyprus. It will hit the tourist industry, there is no doubt. When you say prices are up Leica, is that generally all round.

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
2,772 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Problems ahead for the summer season.

Had a look on the Eastern Cyprus ex pats & buyer's forum. Despite this area being covered by desalination plants the situation is indeed dire and unless there is an abundance of water in April serious water cuts are inevitable and yet there are still people washing down the pavements and cars with hose pipes. Needless to say the Cypriot Government is getting the blame - rightly or wrongly I don't know but basically water shortages have been staring them in the face for a while and nothing has been done either to ration water or to consider constructing more desalination plants to support the vital tourist industry on which they depend upon.

lake district...
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Problems ahead for the summer season.

Thanks ladies,I am glad to see you are still here,offering excellent advise as per usual.

Prices are up on the vast majority of things,but it hard to guage by how much.It differs from place to place,but simple things like the odd nescafe or fanta seem to be up 15%.Electric prices have gone through the roof,so there will be a knock on affect for the tourist.The exchange rate does not help..

My main worry is water, there is very little,the dams are barren,and no rain is forecast,and the switch offs seem to be doing nothing.

A friend believes there will be major cut offs this summer in hotels, and a ban on filling private pools.

Not good news..

Cyprus
Level Contributor
364 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Problems ahead for the summer season.

Things have really gone to hell. I mean you can't even stone, hung, decapitate, burn or at least castrate prophets these days.

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
2,772 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Problems ahead for the summer season.

GDane - give us more information on why you think things have gone to hell so we tourists have an idea of what we really need to budget for.

Cyprus
Level Contributor
364 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Problems ahead for the summer season.

Good morning Kath,

Let me just take my tongue out of my cheek.Right.

Things are certainly not good as far as the water supply is concerned but the situation was similar 6-7 years ago and nobody left Cyprus then smelling any worse than usual.I think it is just pressure groups, the media and prophets of doom blowing things out of proportion.

In the early 80s with erratic, if any, water supplies and no desalination plants, hotels in the Ay. Napa and Protaras areas still managed to put Cyprus on the tourist map.