We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rental and driving advice

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
90 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
car rental and driving advice

Hello

I have booked a holiday flying to larnaca airport, could anyone recommend any car hire companies I want to have a car all week and collect from the airport. I think I will book online before the holiday. Also I don't want to have to leave a deposit on collection, which some companies seem to do.

Can anyone give me advice on driving in Cyprus as I've never driven abroad, especially on parking and where to park or not to park, and parking charges.

I would particularly like to know where to park when we visit paphos and visit the sites there and the harbour.

Also do the car hire companies provide maps with parking areas marked on them?

Thanks hope to hear soon

Elleda

Ipswich, United...
Level Contributor
1,062 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car rental and driving advice

Hi Elleda,

I haven't rented from Larnaca, always from Paphos but I suppose things won't be that different.

I always rent through Easycar, though not always with the Easycar site, as you can often rent more cheaply going through www.travelsupermarket.com or other holiday car rental sites. However, there are lots of people on TA that rent through Cypriot companies and seem really satisfied. The only thing with Easycar is that you do pay for a tank full of petrol and hand the car back empty.

Driving in Cyprus is easy as it's on the left, like here in the UK. There is a good motorway all along the southern coast and up to Nicosia. The roads in general are pretty good.

Parking at Paphos harbour, by the mosaics, is free, although at peak times you might have to drive around looking, but there is an overspill car park next to the main harbour park - also free.

Easycar give out maps, so I suppose that's what you'll get with other companies.

Signage around Cyprus is good, including car parks, so I think you'll have no trouble.They are also in both Greek and English. I'm sure there are "no parking areas", but I haven't noticed them.

Have a look on Google earth and I'm sure you'll spot the car park by the harbour.

Ask away if you think of anything else. Hope this helps.

2. Re: car rental and driving advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2009, 12:24