We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus - (May)Holiday info?

Penkridge
Level Contributor
18 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus - (May)Holiday info?

Any general advice about travelling to N Cyprus in May:- by air from UK - I know the only access is via Turkey.

(Costs of & any recommendations for) Accommodation, getting around, food, walking possibilities / things to do, likely weather conditions etc.

Know Cyprus quite well, but never made it north of the Green Line!

Any reply much appreciated.

Brian & Helen

(Staffs based)

1. Re: Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus - (May)Holiday info?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 06 July 2014, 21:24
uk
Level Contributor
343 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus - (May)Holiday info?

Hello BH Penk again!!! I've noticed you're dishing out the same advice as myself to people wanting to go to Ayia Napa in August!! Doesn't bear thinking about!

Hope you've found my info on N Cyprus useful.

You're obviously as big a fan of Cyprus as me and my hubby.

Staffs England
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus - (May)Holiday info?

Sent message earlier but had not signed in..so you may not get it.can be of assistance, been there, going again in May....was stationed there in RAF....contact bryan.chinn@tesco.net also in Staffs .

Staffs England
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus - (May)Holiday info?

We have booked for May to go to the Jasmine Court at Kyrenia...have been to the North side before about 8 years ago...I found the people very friendly, costs low and had a wonderful holiday..(I was stationed in Cyprus for 3 years with the RAF during the EOKA troubles)

Most of the info you want will be on the internet, try a search with CYPRUSIVE, or T R N C site.

We are going via Manchester, (we are also Staffs based..Rolleston on Dove)...Midlands Co op Travel have a brochure from "Jewels of the World, who also have a website detailing hotels etc., some of which I know.

Some areas such as the Salamis ruins are a sight not to miss, and the whole Kyrenia/Bellapais area has fine beaches and scenery. The harbour at Kyrenia is wonderful, as is St. Hilarion Castle nearby, this was the "model" for a Walt Disney film.

If we can help contact us on bryan.chinn@tesco.net

Reading , England.
Level Contributor
17 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus - (May)Holiday info?

Hi B@H,

Went to Kyrenia last June/July.We stayed at the Jasmine Court Hotel and i would think it is proberly the best hotel we have stayed in during our trips to mainland Turkey & Northern Cyprus. The rooms are huge and well kept & the air-con is brilliant, you have to turn it of at times as it gets too cold. The hotel grounds & pool area are immaculately clean & the sunbathing patio down by the diving shop was ideal.

The staff are a delight although as in all hotels they always put the miserable gids on reception. We went B&B and the food was lovely. Kyrenia itself was full of restaurants and we enjoyed most of them but we liked the North Star, the owner ,Osmon made us very welcome. We ate lunch at a small restaurant called Hunkar Begendi. The owner Arif runs it with his family and would do anything for you, he used to be the head waiter at the Dome. The Chicken Bar was also very good for lunch and cheap.

We found The Kukri Bar in Karaoglanoglu to be one of the best places for an evening. Good food, entertainment and John & Suzy are great hosts, its a ten minute taxi ride from the hotel. All in all a great holiday and will be going back sometime. Have a nice holiday. You can e-mail me at

abur99@hotmail.com. for more infor. Alec.

6. Re: Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus - (May)Holiday info?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2007, 21:25
Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
2,772 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus - (May)Holiday info?

I agree with EnglishMaria. The northern part of Cyprus is illegally occupied and belongs to the cypriot people who have been forced south. By visiting you are helping maintain the north/south divide. There are plenty of beautiful places to stay on the south of the island.

Haddington, United...
Destination Expert
for Haddington, East Lothian
Level Contributor
4,006 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus - (May)Holiday info?

We went to Kyrenia last October With Green Island holidays and stayed at THE DOME Hotel. It is undergoing fairly extensive upgrading but we still had a wonderful time. The flight in you have to land in Turkey but our flight only stopped of for 40 minutes. The people of North Cyprus are wonderful, Honest, hospitable and very freindly and helpful. One of the best parts of the holiday was NO Lager swilling british drunks that frequent south Cyprus.

Country side in the north is quite and pieceful, great streatches of empty beaches, lot of ruins & castles (but be careful of unprotected drops) eating around the OLD TOWN of Kyrenia is a wonderful experience, with on of our favorites being the 'Corner' on the harbour. You get a great deal if you have Sterling notes to barter with. Hire of a 'New Ford Feista' with AC cost us ��20 a day with full insurace from 'Autum Car Hire' and that included delivery to and from hotel. If you want a great holiday where you can relax and chill out, where you can wander the back streets at night with no fear of crime, enjoy the hospitality of the most wonderfull people then North Cyprus is for you. Hope you enjoy it as much as we did , we are going back again in October 2005

Haddington, United...
Destination Expert
for Haddington, East Lothian
Level Contributor
4,006 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus - (May)Holiday info?

We went to Kyrenia last October With Green Island holidays and stayed at THE DOME Hotel. It is undergoing fairly extensive upgrading but we still had a wonderful time. The flight in you have to land in Turkey but our flight only stopped of for 40 minutes. The people of North Cyprus are wonderful, Honest, hospitable and very freindly and helpful. One of the best parts of the holiday was NO Lager swilling british drunks that frequent south Cyprus.

Country side in the north is quite and pieceful, great streatches of empty beaches, lot of ruins & castles (but be careful of unprotected drops) eating around the OLD TOWN of Kyrenia is a wonderful experience, with on of our favorites being the 'Corner' on the harbour. You get a great deal if you have Sterling notes to barter with. Hire of a 'New Ford Feista' with AC cost us ��20 a day with full insurace from 'Autum Car Hire' and that included delivery to and from hotel. If you want a great holiday where you can relax and chill out, where you can wander the back streets at night with no fear of crime, enjoy the hospitality of the most wonderfull people then North Cyprus is for you. Hope you enjoy it as much as we did , we are going back again in October 2005

sheffield UK
Level Contributor
1,377 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus - (May)Holiday info?

having been a regular visitor to Northern Cyprus for the last 9 years I can only say that if you want European tack at inflated European prices then go to the South. However if you prefer relatively unspoilt culture (it is changing though) then head North. There is a large ex-pat population and the local people are rightfully proud have their own identity. Forget the hype, go and see, you will find a fantastic selection of restaurants offering local and cosmopolitan cuisine at a fraction of UK prices ( this is also starting to change) and often of far higher standard. We have produced an informal guide to dining out in the T.R.N.C. but a lady named Hilary Jemal did this over a decade ago and you can still find her articles in Cyprus Today weekly newspaper.

We have stayed at several hotels over the years but prefer Bellapais Gardens ( No KIDS! ). This one is rather expensive due to location but for a "cheap and cheerful" try Pitoresk or Green Coast. Car hire essential to get most from holidays in this country.