We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Would you recommend Avis?

Level Contributor
102 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Would you recommend Avis?

Hi there,

We're looking to hire a vehicle in June for 2 weeks from Larnaca Airport to a private villa in Pernera. We need a people carrier type vehicle- it has to fit 4 adults, a child seat and all our luggage.

I've searched the web and the cheapest Ive found is £474.99 from Avis, not including any extras.

I've never hired a car before, so wondering if they are a decent company (dont want to be getting ripped off with 'extras' and petrol etc!) and is this a decent price?

If anyone can recommend me a local company to look into, that would be great!

Many thanks.

Level Contributor
146 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Would you recommend Avis?

have a look at www.gorentacar.com.cy

Price is abouyt £500 for a people carrier. Everything included (apart from fuel). Also includes a 2nd driver.

Weybridge, Surrey...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Would you recommend Avis?

Hi Sue,

Had a really bad experience with Avis in Cyprus last week (albeit Paphos). The desk clerk was surly, they charged me for a full tank of petrol (said I could bring it back empty - but how do you judge that?). When I checked the price of fuel they use, street price was 30euros for a tank. They charged 52euros. Also charged me 17euros for collecting car at the airport. Couldn't find any mention of these charges in the small print.

Level Contributor
364 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Would you recommend Avis?

We are going to Greece this year and we are also looking to rent a car.

You absolutely must read the fine print. If you can't find basic information such as, if cdw is included, how much the excess is, if the 2nd driver is free or not, unlimited mileage, if prices include the aiport charge and vat and how much refueling costs, beware. The most likelyhood is that they are either amateurs or they are setting you up for a rip-off. Also, compare the prices for the extras you may need.

The best deal I've found, so far , is thru http://www.novacarhire.com/

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
222 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Would you recommend Avis?

I'm looking at a price list now.

Says until 20th June

they have a Opel Zafira 1600cc 44 Euros per day over 7 days

or an Isuzu Trooper 7 seat 4x4 for 46 Euros per day over 7 days

includes unlim milage, Comp ins, vat, collision damage waiver.

extras fuel, 15 euros extra from Airport, baby seat 2.50 euros per day, ad driver 2.50 per day

I can give you their phone number if its any use to you

Level Contributor
102 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Would you recommend Avis?

Thanks for your thoughts.

We decided to book transfers with Mr John and hire a car when there for a few days. It will cost roughly the same and we wouldn't use the car eveyday anyway.

6. Re: Would you recommend Avis?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 November 2009, 06:21