We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Some prices for you, just got back.

Wales
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Some prices for you, just got back.

I have just returned from 2 weeks self catering in Cyprus. I stayed at the Valana Hotel Apartments in Limassol. (I wrote a review on that and posted pictures but currently waiting for them to be published)

Anyway i wrote down the prices on various things we bought and thought i'd write them on here to give people a general idea. If you want my opinion i don't think it is ridiculously expensive, it just depends what you buy and where from.

Piz Buin Factor 15 Suncream - €9.50

Hellmans Mayonnaise - €1.80

Tomato Ketchup - €1.50

Noodles - €0.43

Loaf of Sliced Bread - €1.70 and €2.10

Flora Butter - €1.45 and €1.65

6 x 2L Bottled Water - €2.50 and €3.00

1 x 2L Pop (Coke, Fanta etc) - Varied between €2.15 and €2.85

Tzatziki Dip - €1.55

Packet of Sliced Ham - €3.30 (10+ Slices)

Smash Mash - €1.40

Washing Powder - €0.60

Washing Up Liquid - €1.10

Hamburgers, pack of 6 - €2.60

Cooking Oil - €1.70

Beans - €0.65

Pasta - €1.70

Cheese - €2.00

Tuna - €1.30

Sweetcorn - €0.85

Lettuce - €0.40

Cucumber - €0.60

Potatoes (6 Large) - €1.60

Turkey Slices - €2.16 (6 Slices)

Pork Slices - €2.40 (6 Slices)

Ice-creams - €1.70 - €2.00 (Magnums, Cornettos etc)

Medium Dairy Milk Caramel - €1.40

Lays (Walkers) Medium Bag of Crisps - €1.05

Lays (Walkers) Big Bag of Crisps - €2.00

Chocolate Chip Cookies - €1.30

Chocolate Biscuits - €0.85

Chewy Fruit Sweets - €1.50

What i mean by Medium/Big Dairy Milk/Crisps is that these are different sizes to what we have in the UK, you actually get a decent amount of crisps in the packets over there and they have a chocolate bar in between the small and big bars of chocolate that we have here.

So there it is, i hope this helps some people. As you can see i did use some popular brands such as Hellmans and Flora but the rest were just the cypriot makes because they are always cheaper. It really is a case of what you buy and where you go, we didn't have a car so stuck to small supermarkets, otherwise we would have drove to Carrefour or Orphanides, which i highly recommend to anyone who is renting a car. Otherwise i stil think these prices are good, not sure if im on my own though.

We ate in the hotel restaurant a few times, meals were between 5 and 8 euros each. Coke in the Valana itself was definately expensive (3 euros each!) Whereas in other restaurants they only charge €1.70ish. Speaking of other restaurants, the meals there were also between €6 and €8, unless you go for Steak etc which is €10+ but that is because they have to import it. My answer is don't have steak, everything else there is gorgeous aswell. If anyone is staying in Limassol i recommend The Cavalier and The Nags Head - gorgeous food. The Nags Head does a set 3 course menu for €11.80.

I'd also like to mention that the air conditioning was €5 per day and Safety deposit boxes were €10 per week, at the Valana.

Anything else you'd like to know then please feel free to ask :)

notts
Level Contributor
39 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Some prices for you, just got back.

what is the price of apint of beer? also glass of wine or dint you drink?

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
223 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Some prices for you, just got back.

hi thanks for the above info. if for some reason your review isnt posted (as i thought it would be on here by now) will you send me info on the valana itself.

thanks

Wales
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Some prices for you, just got back.

Pint of Beer was between €2 and €3 i think, not sure though as i don't drink beer and i'm afraid i cannot say about the wine either, sorry.

I've just gone onto my profile and the photos and review are still 'pending', even though it has been 48 hours now. I've had a little look at the help section on here and on there it says 'a few business days' soo considering its been the weekend i'm guessing (and hoping) it will be up tomorrow, if not then i'll definately send it all to you on Tuesday, i hope thats okay :)

4. Re: Some prices for you, just got back.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2010, 05:18