We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sat Nav

Scotland
Level Contributor
109 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
Sat Nav

Heading to cyprus (Paphos) in Oct have hired a 4x4 for the 2 weeks hubby is planning a new sat nav, has anyone used one or got any advice on one which is of use in Cyprus. Thanks in advance

Bognor Regis...
Level Contributor
208 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sat Nav

We have just changed our sat nav from a TomTom 700 to a 740 'live'. The European map on both have Cyprus on them. Depending on what maker / model you decide on it would be worth checking what coverage you get. I have had no problems with asking Tom Tom for advice, they are not the cheapest but are reasonably easy to operate even for an 'oldie' like me. If you have a Halfords or Tesco nearby they stock most brands and could help, even if you go somewhere else to buy, got my 740 'live' in Tesco's for £225.00.

have a great time in Cyprus.

England
Level Contributor
249 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sat Nav

Hi,

I am going next week.

I have a Sat Nave (Garmin).

I am under the impression Cyprus does not have a satelite so therfore it will not work for navigation.

We also tried to hire one from Avis and they also told us Cyprus did not have a system that worked.

I really don't know if I am beeing missinformed, but I will keep an eye on your post to see what advice you get. I am going to follow it too!

I will also let you know before you go how I got on.

We even called the embassy and they laughed, they said we did not need a Sat Nav as no one gets lost in Cyprus.

I bet I do though!

I will keep ypu informed

Good luck with your new Sat Nave I love mine!!

MrsL :)

Scotland
Level Contributor
109 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sat Nav

Thank you for both replys. But now I am worried I have promised to do my fair share of driving this year so would rather Sat Nav than hubby giving me directions. I would love to hear from someone who has used sat nav in cyprus. Thank you.

England
Level Contributor
249 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sat Nav

Me Too.

But dont worry when I get back you can have my maps.

LOL :)!!

larnaca
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Sat Nav

Hi, my friend and I have booked for September via travel agent.

When we hired the car in advance, we were asked if we would like to pay the extra for sat nav, so it must be available.

Troodos Mountains...
Destination Expert
for Troodos Mountains
Level Contributor
1,075 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Sat Nav

Hi

There are rumors that sat nav maps are available but when I checked in Nicosia all I found were basic maps with just lines drawn from dot to dot representing junctions and villages. I have read claims that street level maps are available for the large towns but I have yet to see one. I am after a decent one as I am now exploring the minor roads (E and F numbers) and the maps are not good at that level.

The satellites for GPS are global it is the mapping that is needed. My basic Garmin GPS works here and it does not use maps so not a problem.

Maps are difficult as the Cypriot government restricts the availability due to the political problems and available maps are not that good. However driving should not be a problem as signs are generally good and bilingual, it is difficult to get really lost as it is a small island, slightly mislaid yes. The A (motorway) B (like UK A roads) are pretty good, most E roads are OK, F roads are very variable. but remember Lefkosia is Nicosia and Lemesos is Limassol.

England
Level Contributor
249 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sat Nav

Hello

We got back yesterday and we had a great time.

I can confirm there are no Sat Navs in Cyprus.

At the airport there are free Maps at the info desk.

We grabbed a couple and annotated what we needed.

Directions are very straight forward and Cyprus is a very small place compared to the UK.

If you can handle a motorway over here, over there is a walk in the park.

Dont worry over the Sat nav, honestly if I can find my way around any one can.

We didn't bother with a $X$ but I will next time as the drive to Lara beach is a bit bumpy.

You will have a great time we did, enjoy your hols in October

cyprus
Destination Expert
for Nicosia
Level Contributor
319 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sat Nav

Many companies now have a navigation system for Cyprus. I use navngo igo8 on my cellphone and in most cases the navigation is adequate, with some minor issues that need improvement. I know other companies have navigators for cyprus cause my friends use them. Nevertheless, it is really hard to get lost in Cyprus, even if you try...

Troodos Mountains...
Destination Expert
for Troodos Mountains
Level Contributor
1,075 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Sat Nav

Looking at the Tom Tom web site they do not claim to cover Greece let alone Cyprus which explains why I have not seen them on sale here.

The Garmin web site has details of a third party supplier for maps of Cyprus but I do not know much more than that as yet, but I am asking for a demonstration.

I have had a hire car in Cyprus with a sat nav fitted, but that was probably talking in Korean or Japanese I do not think it helped the navigation.

Scotland
Level Contributor
109 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sat Nav

MrsL and others thank you for your replies, It looks as if hubby will just have to trust my map reading and I his. Mrs L glad you had a great holiday any advice on must see, must do while we're there.

Thank You

ork51