We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sleepy village in Cyprus

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
926 posts
Save Topic
sleepy village in Cyprus

Hi there

I have never been to cyprus, I am looking for a quaint village with some lovely tavernas and nice walks near by. We usually stay off the beaten track places .

Be glad of any ideas.

Thanks Dawn

Troodos Mountains...
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sleepy village in Cyprus

To see a range of this type of holiday accommodation search on http://www.agrotourism.com.cy/ . Sorry suspect you will have to copy paste into browser. This is a drive to bring small tavernas etc to the notice of visitors. I think on Troodos will be better with the variety of walks available but also the West with the Akamas area is also good

Larnaka City, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Larnaka District, Larnaka City
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sleepy village in Cyprus

Here is a link to the Cyprus Agrotourism Website where you could search for accomodation in villages in Cyprus that still have some local character.

www.agrotourism.com.cy/

You didn't mention the area you would like to visit but since I live in Larnaca area I could suggest places around Larnaca that I know better, so you could try Kato-drys, Tochni, Vavla, Lefkara (however this is a tourist village and more crowded from day-trippers during daytime than the others), Ayioi Vavatsinias (better try this ranking as well).

If you would like to travel around you should also consider renting a car since "public transport" is a meaning that is still unknown here on the island.

Enjoy your stay!

Larnaka City, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Larnaka District, Larnaka City
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sleepy village in Cyprus

:-) Didn't notice FredCyprus' post (we must have been writing at the same time- just took me time to submit)

Troodos would be indeed a very nice and -least hot -spot. If you prefer the option of a mountai area you could also consider Kakopetria, Agros, Pedoulas or even the more expensive and tourist village of Platres.

Can't comment anything on Akamas since I haven't been there. Any "things to do" in that area, anyone?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
926 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: sleepy village in Cyprus

Hi there

Thanks to all for your replies.

I have no knowledge of Cyprus at all I have been told that the Turkisk side is cheaper and nicer than the Greek side, I love both of these countries met lots of lovely people. We don't like driving abroad so need plenty of little villages to be able to walk to we are not bothered if it takes an hour to walk to them.

Would like to be near the sea but this is not a major issue.

Also what are the food and drink prices like in Cyprus?

We have Dalyan in Turkey booked for this year but looking to go to Cyprus early September next year just for a change.

Many thanks again

Dawn

Cumbria
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: sleepy village in Cyprus

I'm not sure Cyprus will suit you. You need to be able to drive and off the beaten track is difficult. 20 years ago was not the case but we have just come back from our first visit since 1991! We had a fantastic time BUT our reason for visiting was to see what had happened to the place we visited every year for 8 years! We have only ever been to the Greek speaking side of the island. I can agree that the villages mentioned are very nice but they are not within walking distance of each other. We stayed at Tokhni - Eveleos house - lovely, and at Kato Arkhoudalia - Amarakos inn, we had the same idea as you (except we knew we would need a car!). Try the Lindos inn at Kako petria, Latchi is right next to the Akamas, Peyia or Polis might suit but even these are getting touristy. Natura Beach hotel is worth a go! Food is great in most places that are not British influenced - and it's not expensive! Platres trout farm Psilo Dendro and a walk up the waterfall, Tsokas goat farm, Cedar Valley, Ayios Georgios - but everywhere is very spread out. Omidos is being renovated to former traditional state. We never ventured over Ayia Napa way...... it used to be so beautiful out there we didn't want to see how it had been spoilt! Good luck, it's lovely really and the people are so nice!

Troodos Mountains...
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: sleepy village in Cyprus

Driving here is made easier as we drive on the left as in UK, so that may help a decision.

I can not really answer for the North as I have not been there. I understand it is less developed than the South.

In the South I can not think of any sleepy village near the sea other than around Latchi / Polis as that area is less developed than the elsewhere.

The mountain areas are where the sleepy village could be found but a car is essential. Villages tend not to be too close together due to the deep valleys.

7. Re: sleepy village in Cyprus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 February 2010, 05:20