We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cyprus vs other mediterranean islands

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
3,565 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Cyprus vs other mediterranean islands

Hello.

Having a hard time trying to find a new holiday destination for a low key beachy holiday. I love the west and south coasts of crete, I love Gozo (Malta) and have enjoyed Sicily but its not my favourite. I am currently trying to decide between Cyprus and Sardinia/Corsica for new adventures. I avoid mass tourism and am an idependant traveller that likes peace and quiet and authentic destinations with family run hotels/ bed n breakfasts or tavernas. Could anyone maybe give their ideas on why they might prefer Cyprus to Sardinia/Corsica or the other way round. I would be travelling most likely in early september. Thanks

Ayia Napa, Cyprus
Level Contributor
1,207 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cyprus vs other mediterranean islands

hi there

I would say you would find it difficult to find a beach type resort in cyprus which is not designed for mass tourism. even the smaller resorts are quite touristy and although they will have a sprinkling of local restaurants and bars there will be a lot geared towards tourists.

possibly resorts such as latchi or polis in the far western end of cyprus might suit you to a degree. the only other unspoilt places are in the mountain villages really.

as for sardinia, i have only been to cagliari which does have lovely beaches near by and in no way aims itself as the usual tourist market, but this is a bustling city and so isn't low key. the resorts in the north are supposed to be much more picturesque and authentic if you avoid those frequented by the jetset.

Ipswich, United...
Level Contributor
1,078 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cyprus vs other mediterranean islands

I don't think it will be easy to find a low key beach holiday in Cyprus, as it is a very popular tourist island.

I stay in a village about 15 mins from Paphos airport and walk down to the sea to swim every day (about a 40 minute walk). It is peaceful but that's because it is away from the main tourist spots.

The only place that I have found to be very quiet is travelling east along the coast from Polis, at a place called Pachyammos.

It is almost at the border with the TRNC and there is a Turkish enclave in an area called Kokkina.

It's quite difficult to find an information about it and I only found it by accident. The sea was beautifully warm last October and it is very quiet as it is more difficult to travel further east without crossing the border.

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
2,772 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cyprus vs other mediterranean islands

I can only say you have to visit Cyprus and travel the island to find out why so many people have a love affair with the island. Certainly its not the most beautiful in the Med but there is just something so alluring about the place. The people are friendly, driving is easy, food is good, local village tavernas very relaxing. You just have to discover Cyprus and get away from the tourist traps. Having said that I have been to Corsica which I do consider to be the most beautiful island I have ever been to in the Med but alas it is now very expensive to holiday there. The smell of the herbs when arriving in Corsica is very similar to the smell you get when you step off the plane in Cyprus.

Ipswich, United...
Level Contributor
1,078 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cyprus vs other mediterranean islands

Wholeheartedly agree with Kath.

I don't know what it is about Cyprus, but having spent all my previous holidays in the Greek Islands since 1976, I haven't been back to Greece since I discovered Cyprus - only 5 years ago.

I know there are places I would avoid in Cyprus, but there are anywhere.

It's a bit like Marmite, I suspect.

Cyprus
Level Contributor
364 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cyprus vs other mediterranean islands

Latchi is pretty quiet in September and most years I spend a few days there with the family for a relaxing holiday before school starts.

There are plenty of beaches you can go to and it's easy to find somewhere to be more or less by yourself.

Going east toward the Baths of Aphrodite there is some spectacular coastline with very clear waters and it's worth taking a mask with you for some snorkelling.

For accomodation have a look here: http://www.agrotourism.com.cy/

6. Re: Cyprus vs other mediterranean islands

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 July 2010, 05:16