We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Petrol Strike

Troodos Mountains...
Destination Expert
for Troodos Mountains
Level Contributor
1,075 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Petrol Strike

Many petrol stations are on "indefinite strike" and that includes the automatic systems as well, apparently. The reason is that the transport minister suddenly decided to cap fuel prices without consultation with the operators who called an immediate strike effective 0600 this morning. There are still some stations open and a recent government list shows 46 only operating. http://www.cyprus-mail.com/ for information.

Petrol prices are well below UK levels recently around 0.95 a litre.

Paphos, Cyprus
Level Contributor
2,748 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Petrol Strike

I filled up last night as they were saying it was a strike for 8 days, apparently there seems a similar dispute over in France and that seems to be regarding job losses

Kev

Troodos Mountains...
Destination Expert
for Troodos Mountains
Level Contributor
1,075 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Petrol Strike

i can only go on English press here as I do not yet speak Greek and that news is very much along lines of the small business union and politically motivated strike. When compared with UK where so many small petrol stations have closed because of the prevalence of supermarket discount petrol we are still lucky that small enterprises can still exist, but for how much longer? Is the UK identikit high street big business only swimming along the Med towards us?

Ayia Napa, Cyprus
Level Contributor
1,207 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Petrol Strike

Can confirm that all of the petrol stations I have seen today in the Ayia napa/Paralimni area are closed. No notices up, just cones across the entrance in most.

Nicosia, Cyprus
Level Contributor
554 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Petrol Strike

As FredCyprus says, there are still petrol stations operating mostly those directly owned by fuel companies. Tourists due to arrive in Cyprus over the next days should not be too concerned as all tourist transfer buses and taxis to and from the island's airports are currently running as normal.

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
9,559 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Petrol Strike

Whoops now I know I am doomed. Petrol strikes in Cyprus. We have booked to go to Rome on BA flights,and they are going on strike and to Madeira and of course they have dreadful problems with landslides and floods at the moment. Hopefully the petrol problem in Cyprus will be sorted out quickly.

Torpoint, United...
Destination Expert
for Larnaka City, Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
5,910 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Petrol Strike

Long walk from the airport to Limassol.

7. Re: Petrol Strike

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2010, 07:19