We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best location in Cyprus for nightlife, beaches and sights?

London
Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Best location in Cyprus for nightlife, beaches and sights?

Hi Everyone,

What are the best locations that have easy access (either day trips or tours) to sights, great party/nightlife and good clean beaches? My boyfriend and I are in are 20s so looking for a young atmosphere, but trying to steer a little bit away from pub grub and stag parties if possible (ie we recently went to Benidorm and were really disappointed with the lack of Spanish food). I’ve never been to Cyprus before and would like to experience something authentic outside of the resort confines.

Also, is Cyprus a popular destination in April? Are most things open? Is it busy, warm and sunny?? Thanks!

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
2,772 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best location in Cyprus for nightlife, beaches and sights?

I would have to say Ayia Napa/Protaras/Pernera - fabulous beaches and plenty of tours. Loads of kiosks to book these from. Nightlife in Protaras not quite as lively as Ayia Napa but regular buses from Pernera & Protaras will get you to Napa within half an hour. The other side of the island (Paphos) is more cultural - beautiful coastline but from what you are looking for I think you would be better off on the east. If possible hire a car and you can cover east to west in under 3 hours. Good 4 x 4 safari into the Troodos mountains which is well worth doing, plenty of boat trips and the Red Bus tour which will take you round the outlying villages. April will be extremely quiet - the eastern side of the island generally doesn't get going until the end of April although as Easter is early this year some places will be open early April. Weather can still be a bit hit and miss so if its guaranteed lay on the beach and tan weather you are looking for better to leave it until Mid/end of May.

Torpoint, United...
Destination Expert
for Larnaka City, Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
6,036 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best location in Cyprus for nightlife, beaches and sights?

Hi Cyprus should start warming up by the end of april, will still be chilly at night. hotels and bars that are closed for the winter re -open in April. The best beaches are to be found on the eastern side of the island Larnaca/,protaras/pernera/ayia napa. there are plenty of cypriot places to eat. there should be plenty open, all with good nightlife but tourism to Cyprus is down because of the state of the euro.

Larnaca has a couple of good beaches,loads of cypriot places to eat I love the black turtle .around the side of larnaca fort,about 20 walk there is Makenzie beach. there are quite a few Cypriot restraunts along the rd.

Limassol is a large industrial port it has a few beaches but they are not that great.Paphos has a lovely harbour,there are a few good Cypriot restraunts there.tours can easily be booked from all of the towns.but if beaches are import stay on the eastern side.dont miss the troodos mountain tour. I think april is a good time to visit Cyprus,not to hot,things going on and not over crowded.Julie

Ayia Napa, Cyprus
Level Contributor
1,207 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best location in Cyprus for nightlife, beaches and sights?

I think for beaches and some kind of nightlife you would be better with ayia napa. It isn't any where near as 'british' as many holiday resorts and there are actually very few places which are pub grub and johns smiths on tap.

Beaches are lovely all around this area and it should be warm enough to enjoy them at that time of year. bear in mind though the sea will be chilly and you may get the odd shower or overcast day at that time of year. It is 21 today and quite warm and is usually anything between 21-27 at the end of april.

As for things being open, Many of the bars are planning on opening up in time for easter at the first weekend in april. It won't be mad busy but there will be a fair few people around at night in the bars and clubs. I think with Protaras and Pernera the nightlife may be a bit too sedate for you as most things will be shut around midnight and the average age will be a lot older.

For sights - most are unfortaunately at the other end of the island where the beaches are not so good and there is a lot more of a british influence. However there are many great trips and tours where you can see the best bits quite easily.

Terri

Edited: 10 March 2010, 15:07
London
Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best location in Cyprus for nightlife, beaches and sights?

Thank you all so much for all the info! I really appreciate it :) I'll probably be back with more questions soon!

5. Re: Best location in Cyprus for nightlife, beaches and sights?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2010, 05:19