We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Cyprus expensive?

NEWPORT, SOUTH WALES
Level Contributor
99 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Is Cyprus expensive?

Me and my partner are considering Cyprus for next year's holiday.

Can someone please tell me, is Cyprus expensive?

Ive been told it is.

What would be the best board basis to do for value for money?

Thanks

Al.

west midlands
Level Contributor
103 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Cyprus expensive?

Hi,

I think Cyprus can be expensive compared to other European destinations but it's all about where you eat and where you stay. Also, if you don't hire a car and want to get around a lot it can be expensive as the public transport is rare and taxi's cost a lot. (Larnaca Airport to Ayia napa one way could cost about £50-£60)

I have a property in Cyprus now and have stayed all over the island in a variety of different accomodation types. All-inclusive can be worthwhile if you want to stay in resort. Central larnaca could be an option as its a proper working town with great shops, a lovely beach good transport, cheap restaurants and takeaways and really cheap apartments if you can live without a pool and just want a walk to the beach. The prices for a main course in the restaurants in Larnaca vary between 7-15 E for the tourist places I'd say, Imported products are pricey, a coffee and a sandwich in Starbucks will cost you 9E.

Having said all of this my friends did some extensive research and they are coming to visit us in September, they are all clubbing together to get a villa (sleeps 8 costs about £600 total) and we will do a big shop in the local supermarkets - prices similar to UK but fruit & veg is better & cheaper, meat & bread is pricey. So if you put that with an easyjet flight and car hire, & what you's spend on food in the UK you have quite good value! - they have found this to be the cheapest way.

If you go for a high end hotel not on all inclusive you'll find drinks pricey, 15E for a bottle of wine and 8 or 9 for a cocktail for example.

All inclusive might be better value on the Paphos side as the resorts are closer to the airort so if you don't want to hire a car you'll have a cheaper taxi fare.

Ayia Napa, Cyprus
Level Contributor
1,207 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Cyprus expensive?

As with most countries you can make it as cheap or expensive as you want depending on what youo buy and where you buy it.

As with most of the countries in the Euro prices will be similar to what you would pay in the UK and I think the reason most people say it is expensive is because when you go on holiday you expect it to be cheaper than at home.

eating out - there are cheap places and more expensive places again depending on what you choose to eat. many restaurants have set menus with 2 or 3 courses from €8-15.

drinks - cheaper bars have beer or long drinks from €2. more popular bars or for imported drinks you could pay €4 or €5. If you go to a club you will pay more for your drinks again.

supermarkets - the bigger the supermarket the better the prices generally so each town will have a large supermarket where you could stock up on items. 24 hour kiosks will be very expensive to buy things. everyday food items are generally lower than the Uk prices although imported brands and junk food tends to be expensive.

for the best value, just compare the prices of the different boards and work it out to a per day amount. then work out what you are likely to spend each day and go from there.

bristol
Level Contributor
220 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Cyprus expensive?

I would say that Cyprus is more expensive than it was only a couple of years ago. This is based on our year on year holidays to Cyprus and having to get that bit more currency each time. We know pretty much what we will spend, but the year before last, we actually ran out of money and had to resort to using ATMs. We estimated that we spent around 30% more that year.

Last year though, we were a bit more savvy and ate to a budget and checked prices before doing anything. Shame, as you are on holiday and don't want to be thinking of pennies all the time.

I would definately say that the Euro has lead to a general increase in costs. I had quite a few conversations with Cypriots and holiday makers alike and the general feeling was negative regarding the Euro. For instance, something that was CY1 is now €2. Before the Euro, a CY1 was worth about £1.20, so should now be just over €1, not €2. This has nothing to do with exchange rates, this is purely about rounding up figures. I understand that similar thing happened in the early 1970's when the UK went decimal, but I am too young to remember - honest.

However, I must say that I am giving Cyprus a miss this year, yet already wishing I was going !!!

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
2,772 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Cyprus expensive?

Last year we budgeted on 120 euros per day and we did find it more expensive than 2008. This year we again went self catering and budgeted on 120 euros per day but actually managed very well on 100 euros eating out all the time and we didn't scrimp at all. Having said that we are not in the "clubbing" age bracket so didn't spent a lot on expensive drinks in the clubs or taxis. Generally speaking though we thought Cyprus was good value for money this year. On average a meal for four in the evening with drinks was 34 - 50 euros.

As CyprusSeaView says you can make it expensive or as cheap as you like.

Kath

Troodos Mountains...
Destination Expert
for Troodos Mountains
Level Contributor
1,122 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Cyprus expensive?

When Cyprus converted to the Euro the rate was 1 Cyprus pound to €1.71ish so temptation to round up to €2. Since then the £ Sterling has lost value against the Euro until recently when it has recovered part but not all of that lost value. By next year I am not sure any one knows?

I think competition here is not as strong as in UK as it is a small fairly isolated island and there seems to be a view here that if something is not selling you put the price up to recoup lost profit unlike most other places where prices go down to make a sale. But you can choose where you spend and there are sensibly priced places or you can be ripped off just as you can be in the tourist areas of London and elsewhere.

loveprotaras
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Cyprus expensive?

Hi,

I would suggest you look at getting a villa. They are great value and you dont have to fight for a sunbed in the mornings. We stayed at a great villa the website for it is www.paradisovilla.com As one of your replies mentions clubbing together really brings the prices down.

7. Re: Is Cyprus expensive?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 December 2010, 06:16